Top 5 Best Wine Refrigerators 2020:
- Koldfront TWR247ESS 24 Bottle Free Standing Dual Zone Wine Cooler
- Whynter 20 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler with Black Tinted Mirror Glass Door
- Kalamera 24” Wine Cooler Refrigerator 46 Bottle Dual Zone Fridge with Stainless Steel & Triple-Layer Tempered Reversible Glass Door
- Nutrichef PKCWC120 12 Bottle White And Red Wine Freestanding Or Countertop Wine Fridge
- Danby DWC93BLSDB 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler
We hope we all learned by now (unfortunately in our case from a few bad situations) that it is really important how you store your wine bottles.
By this, we do not mean only when it’s opened if you did not realize unopened wine bottles can go bad if not stored accordingly. So we will repeat once more; the way you store wine is crucial since it can have a big impact on taste, quality, and at the end, longevity.
If the temperature fluctuates a lot, corks can contract, and the oxygen will enter the bottle and ruin your perfectly fine wine. And how do you fight that? Well, by placing the bottles in the temperature-controlled environment such as a fridge.
But not regular fridge folks. Today we will help you invest in the best wine refrigerator.
5 Best Wine Refrigerators In 2020: Detailed Reviews
It is not easy to pick out the right model on your own since going into the shopping for a wine cooler is not such a common thing as you might think.
That is why we are here to help you learn all things that are considered about acquiring the best wine refrigerator.
1. Kalamera 24” Wine Cooler Refrigerator 46 Bottle Dual Zone Fridge with Stainless Steel & Triple-Layer Tempered Reversible Glass Door – An Elegant Solution To Store And Chill Your Wine
If you are a serious wine drinker or a collector, you will, for sure, need a larger wine refrigerator. This freestanding wine refrigerator features an elegant and sleek design that will, for sure, stand out in your kitchen. It is made of stainless steel, with a triple-layered tempered glass door and five beechwood shelves.
The manufacturer claims that holding capacity is 46 bottles. This is not entirely true since standard 750 ml wine bottles are a bit larger, so it can only fit approximately 36 bottles, which is still a good holding capacity. The downside is that you can’t fit larger bottles like champagne.
This is a compressor type of refrigerator so you can be sure it will reach colder degrees, and it tolerates fluctuations of temperature better. The best feature of this model is a dual temperature zone. This means you can keep both red and white wines at their proper temperature. Upper shelves are suitable for varieties and lower shelves for lower varieties.
It also features smart digital control that will allow you to tune the temperature as you prefer it. In case the power goes out, this refrigerator will remember your temperature settings, so there is no need to reset it.
It is marketed as energy-efficient, but you will need to turn on/off the light manually, which is annoying. A handy child safety lock is a great feature worth mentioning.
- Great quality design
- Reversible door
- Dual temperature zones
- Child safety lock
- Can’t fit 46 bottles
- The light must be manually turned on/off
2. Danby DWC93BLSDB 36 Bottle Freestanding Wine Cooler – Sophisticated Cooler That Fits Any Space
This unit will keep your favorite wine perfectly chilled and ready for any occasion. It is a freestanding model that features beautiful modern design and sturdy construction thanks to the stainless steel and tempered-glass door. The tempered glass mirror door will also protect your bottles from the harmful effects of UV rays.
What we loved is how impressive your wine collection looks due to the blue LED interior lighting. This also enables you to have a clear view of your selection. On the other hand, a LED light needs to be turned off manually.
This wine cooler can hold up to 36 standard 750 ml bottles, which is a great holding capacity if you ask us. Luckily the shelves are removable and adjustable, so you can fit any larger bottle if needed.
The temperature can be adjusted in the range from 43°F to 57°F, which means it is suitable for storing both red and white wines, but it is more favorable for white wines. What we don’t like is that the control panel is on the backside of the unit, and there is no thermometer built-in, so it is not very convenient to adjust the temperature when you need to. The solution is to acquire any thermometer and place it inside.
As it is a Danby wine cooler is a freestanding model, so it requires free space to maintain the temperature and prevent overheating.
- Stylish design
- Good temperature range and holding capacity
- Reversible door
- Single temperature zone
- No built-in thermometer
- LED light must be turned on/off manually
3. Whynter 20 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler with Black Tinted Mirror Glass Door – Great Value For The Price
The Whynter wine cooler is a great quality super stylish model small enough to fit your office, your kitchen, or if you are lucky enough your boat. Why do we say boat?
Well, the black tinted mirror doors will prevent UV light from coming in so your wine can be safe and sound even when you are out sailing. The rest of the fridge is made from stainless steel, and the shelves are made from scalloped chrome so you can be sure this fridge will withstand years of use.
The storing capacity is 20 standard 750 ml bottles, and it can’t fit any larger bottles since you can’t remove the shelves. This model features a thermoelectric cooling system that operates with less noise and vibration, so it won’t affect wine sedimentation.
It also features a soft-touch digital control panel that will enable you to adjust the temperature in the range between 46°F and 65°F. You can store both red and white wine, but unfortunately, not at the same time since there are no dual temperature zones.
Also, many claimed the temperature reading is off for at least 5 degrees lower, which can be a problem from time to time.
This is a freestanding unit, so it requires some free space around so the ventilation can work properly; it must also be placed away from the heat source. It does not feature a child safety lock, so make sure you place it somewhere where kids can’t reach it.
- Adjustable temperature
- Great design
- UV rays resistant
- No child safety lock
- A temperature reading is off
4. Koldfront TWR247ESS 24 Bottle Free Standing Dual Zone Wine Cooler – Display Your Bottles With Style
If your house is always full of bottles of wine that you know you won’t open up any time soon, then it is time to purchase a wine refrigerator, and this model is one you should take into consideration.
It is easy to use, and it is made from black stainless steel with a tempered glass door. This unit is a standalone model, and it can’t be built-in, which can be considered as a minor flaw. Make sure you leave a few inches of free space around the fridge to allow ventilation to work properly. The manufacturer also recommends keeping the unit on 78 degrees for the best optimal use and placing it far away from any source of heat.
You can store both red and white wines equally since this is a dual zones temperature model. You can adjust the temperature as you want since this model features a digital control pad. Its holding capacity is 24 bottles, but only if you store standard 750 ml wine bottles, if you plan to store larger bottles, you will need to remove the shelf.
Thermoelectric cooling paired with wood shelves won’t disturb wine sediment during storage.
Upper shelves are only for red wines, while lower can be set to fit both red and whites. Also, this model has a safety lock. It is an energy-efficient model, but the internal LED needs to be turned off from the control panel.
- Dual temperature zones
- Digital control pad
- Good holding capacity
- Child safety lock
- Upper zone only suitable for red wine
- Need a lot of free space for ventilation
5. Nutrichef PKCWC120 12 Bottle White And Red Wine Freestanding Or Countertop Wine Fridge – Small And Convenient
If you need a smaller size wine cooler to store chilled wine bottles all the time, this little unit should be your choice. What makes this elegant wine cooler different from others from this list is not only the size; it is how space inside is organized.
You can place bottles on both vertical shelves and horizontally at the tall shelf located at the bottom of the fridge, which is suitable for storing larger bottles. This shelf is constructed to hold two bottles, but it can’t fit two champagne bottles at the same or any other bottles that have a similar design.
This is a single zone compact model which allows you to store 12 bottles optimally chilled at a temperature between 41°F and 64°F. That means it is suitable for chilling both red and white wines. The innovative thermoelectric system provides vibration-free cooling that won’t disturb bottle sediment.
You can adjust the temperature manually using a soft-touch digital panel on top of the reinforced glass door. We must mention that you may experience a hard time installing the handle since the instructions are not very accurate.
Many users noticed that the temperature inside of the cooler depends on the ambient temperature. If there is any source of the heat near the unit, the fridge’s temperature will fluctuate a lot, which can be a problem. Also, the unit is a bit noisy, and there is no child safety lock.
- Convenient size
- Stylish and sturdy design
- Great temperature range
- The no-vibration thermoelectric system
- Temperature tend to fluctuate
- No child safety lock
- A bit noisy
Factors To Consider When Buying The Wine Refrigerator
Before buying a wine cooler for your home or bar, there are few aspects you should consider first. This guide was written to help you choose the best model for your requirements.
- The first thing to consider is size. The size will affect the number of bottles that can be stored inside the cooler. It will also affect the location where you will place the unit in your home. They can be slim and tall that can freely stand-alone, or you need a wide and low unit to fit in your countertop. The decision is all yours.
- It doesn’t stop there; some models will allow you to open the door by an amazing 180 degrees door, but how will you do that if your unit’s size does not fit properly in the location you picked out.
2. Bottle Capacity
- As mentioned above, bottle capacity depends on the size. But there is no point in buying an oversized wine cooler if you do not have space for it, nor do you plan to store that amount of wine. Only in case if you are a collector and buy wine in cases then a large wine fridge is a must.
3. Freestanding Cooler Or Built-in Wine Cooler
- There are two different types of wine coolers on the market currently – freestanding coolers and built-in coolers. Depends on how much space you have, you will choose the right type for your space.
- A freestanding cooler is designed to stand alone and allow you a bit more freedom so you can place them in the basement, garage, or any other spare room if you plan to avoid noise and the light coming from them.
- On the other hand, a built-in cooler should be installed in the cupboards or cabinets, yet many can stand alone as well. The main concern with these units is that they require a bit of free space so their ventilation can work properly and prevent overheating and damage.
4. Single Vs. Dual Zones
- There is one more division between types of wine refrigerators. You can find single and dual zones units on the market. But what does that mean?
- Single-zone refrigerators are ideal for people who prefer only red or only white wines since the temperatures are usually not suitable for both varieties.
- A dual-zone refrigerator will allow you to store both varieties of wine in the same unit at the same time since you can set up desired temperatures in two different zones, upper and lower one. So depending on your habits, you will choose the type that suits you the best.
5. Some Other Features
- It is great to be sure your kids can’t open the cooler while you are not around, so make sure to buy the one that is equipped with a child safety lock.
- Sporting a reversible door is great since sometimes you are limited with space, so it is quite important for you to choose the opening side.
- Choose energy-efficient models since no one likes high electrical bills, to be honest.
- Wine coolers aren’t cheap, let’s be honest, but still, you can find some models for insanely low prices. The price will depend on factors like the size and capacity, as well as the type. Consider your budget and choose the right model but remember if you plan to store some expensive specimens of wine, be ready to invest quite some amount into the fridge to make sure it can maintain your wine valid for a longer period of time.
Today we’ve offered you some great options to choose from, and they all have some nice and very handy features. Still, we decided to divide them in three groups according to the budget. So read this article and grab the model that meets your budget the best.
Best Overall Value: Koldfront TWR247ESS 24 Bottle Free Standing Dual Zone Wine Cooler
- This great unit offers dual temperature zones and storing space for 24 bottles for more than affordable price. Why do we say that, well keeping in mind the size and all the great features this unit has to offer we can only say this is a deal that you should not miss.
Best Budget Option: Whynter 20 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler with Black Tinted Mirror Glass Door
- Considering this is a thermoelectric model, it will maintain accurate temperatures for both white and red wines, but you should not store them in the cooler at the same time since this is a single zone unit. Also, it produces minimal noise and zero vibration, so the wine sediment will stay intact. For the give price tag, you can’t say this is not an excellent model.
- It is large; it runs quietly; it looks elegant. Yes, the price tag is high, but this is a dual-zone fridge made from high-quality material that allows you to store some serious amount of bottles. This is a great high-end pick if you ask us since there are many other models similar to this one that sports even two times higher price tag.