Top 5 Best Water Distillers 2020:
- Pure Water Mini-Classic CT
- Megahome Countertop Water Distiller
- OLizee Home Countertop Water Distiller
- Rovsun 4l Countertop Water Distiller
- Durastill Water Distiller
In the middle ages, the only way to drink safe water was to distill it.
Thankfully, we’re not living in the middle ages anymore. Today, you can get clean water right out of your tap. However, even though you’re getting safe water, that doesn’t mean it can impact you negatively.
The water you get from the tap is full of minerals, cleaning chemicals like chlorine, and a plethora of microorganisms. This “hard water” can slowly damage your internal organs. From kidney stones to reproductive problems, many are caused by drinking tap water.
The only way to ensure you’re drinking 100% clean water is to distill it. This is why you need a water distiller.
Of course, you can just buy bottled water, but that will run up the monthly bill quickly. With a water distiller, you can get clean water right out of your tap, thus cutting costs immeasurably.
The best water distiller will purify your tap water and remove almost all types of waste. You’ll be left with nearly pure H20 you can drink knowing it won’t cause you any unnecessary harm.
Unfortunately, choosing the right water distiller for your needs can be quite tricky because they come in many shapes and sizes and with many different features. This is why we’re here. In this article, we’ve picked the five best water distillers you can find on the current market, and we’ve reviewed them.
And if you end up disagreeing with our picks, you can still check out our buyer’s guide and learn what factors you should consider when buying the best water distiller for your needs.
5 Best Water Distillers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
Here are our top five picks for the best water distiller. We made sure to include a wide range of models that’ll fit anyone’s budget.
1. Pure Water Mini-Classic CT – Editor’s Choice
The first place in our list goes to a water distiller that’s compact yet efficient. The Pure Water Mini-Classic CT requires no installation whatsoever. All you need to do to get it going is plugging it into a power outlet.
The best thing about this water distiller is that it’s incredibly efficient. Pure Water Mini-Classic can produce approximately one liter per hour. The distilled water is 99.99% pure, which is as pure as it can get. This is all thanks to superb filters this water distiller features.
Thanks to a hand-sewn activated carbon filter and dual purity vents, the distilled water won’t have a trace of VOCs, and it’ll have a smooth taste.
This water distiller comes with a glass container that can hold up to one gallon of water. The container is removable so you can put it into the fridge so you can refresh yourself with a cold glass of water later. See Also: The Best Side By Side Refrigerators
The good stuff doesn’t end there. The entire machine is built out of stainless steel, so you can rest assured it will last you for years, if not decades. What’s more, the entire machine is air-cooled to ensure it doesn’t break down due to temperature fatigue.
- Doesn’t require any installation
- Produces up to 1 liter of water per hour
- Built out of stainless steel
- Comes with a glass water container
- Produces 99.99% pure water
- Absolutely none
2. Megahome Countertop Water Distiller – Runner Up
Approved by the Underwater Laboratory, the second place in our list of best water distillers goes to Megahome Countertop Water Distiller. Producing 99.99% pure water, this water distiller is perfect for smaller families and individuals.
Megahome water distiller can make up to one gallon of distilled water in just a little bit less than six hours. While this isn’t the fastest machine in the world, thanks to its activated charcoal filters, you can rest assured the water that comes out of it is fully contaminant free.
The best thing about Megahome distiller is that it’s incredibly compact and almost resembles an electric kettle. Along with the distiller, you also get a water pitcher you can use to collect distilled water. Of course, the pitcher is made out of glass and contains zero toxic ingredients.
What’s more, to ensure the water it produces contains no contaminants, this water distiller features a 304 stainless steel distilling chamber. On top of that, the outer shell of the device is built out of BPA-free plastic.
The only gripe we have with Megahome Countertop Water Distiller is that it comes with a very short power cord. If you don’t have a power plug on your kitchen counter, you’ll have to use an extender or move the device somewhere else.
- Easy to use and maintain
- Produces 99.99% pure water
- Comes with activated charcoal filters
- The power cord is too short
3. OLizee Home Countertop Water Distiller – Best Affordable Water Distiller
Although water distillers are a cheap alternative to expensive water purification systems, one of these devices can still burn a hole in your wallet. This is why the third place in our list goes to an affordable water distiller that can produce enough water for the entire family!
The OLizee Home Countertop Water Distiller can produce up to 1.5 gallons of distilled water in a little over six hours. This is more than enough to cover the daily water needs of your entire family!
The distillation chamber and all other internals are built out of 304 stainless steel o ensure no contaminants reach your water. The water that comes out of this water distiller is 99.99% pure and healthy.
Even though this water distiller is quite cheap, it won’t break down that easily. The device is built out of high-quality materials and also features an aluminum fan that prevents any damage to the internal components. The fan is on the louder side, but nothing intolerable.
Along with the distiller, you also get a one-gallon plastic container you can use to collect the water from the device. The plastic used is BPA-free, but we would prefer it if it was made out of glass. No matter how non-toxic plastic is, it gives the water a weird taste we don’t like.
- Very affordable
- Easy to use and maintain
- Stainless steel distillation chamber
- Can produce up to 1.5 gallons in 6 hours
- Comes with a plastic water container
4. Rovsun 4l Countertop Water Distiller – Best Mid Range Water Distiller
If you’re looking for a decent water distiller that won’t break your bank or itself after a couple of months, you’ll be interested in our fourth pick. Rovsun 4l Countertop Water Distiller will provide your entire family with healthy water at a reasonable price.
The exterior of this distiller is a blend of stainless steel and high-quality plastics. This means this water distiller is quite durable and won’t break down for years to come.
What’s more, the interior is also built out of stainless steel. This ensures no contaminants will reach your water and extends the device’s lifespan immeasurably.
When it comes to efficiency, Rovsun can produce around one liter of water per hour. On top of that, it comes with a massive 4L distillation chamber, so you don’t have to top it off with new water every hour.
To ensure no VOCs remain in the water, this water distiller also comes with optional activated carbon filters. Activated carbon will trap any VOCs from the water vapor, ensuring the water that comes out of this device is as clean as it can get.
The only issue we have with this device is the plastic smell it leaves in the water when you use it for the first time. This is why we recommend you throw out the first batch of water you make with this distiller.
- Decently priced
- Produces 1l of distilled water per hour.
- Stainless steel interior and exterior
- Incredibly durable
- The first batch of water has a strong plastic smell
5. Durastill Water Distiller – Best High-End Water Distiller
If your distilled water needs are higher than what a countertop machine can produce, you’ll love our last pick. Durastill Water Distiller will cost you a pretty penny, but it’ll also produce 30 gallons of distilled water each day.
The entire machine is built out of high-grade stainless steel, so it’s incredibly durable. In fact, this machine is built out of 316 stainless steel, which is more durable and corrosion resistant than the 306 variant.
Although this is quite a big machine, it doesn’t come with a collection tank. Instead, you only get a 1.5-gallon distilling chamber you have to fill up manually. To collect the distilled water, you’ll have to use your own tank.
Dustatill Water Distiller is incredibly easy to use. After a couple of minutes of setup, you’ll be up and running. You’ll be happy to know that it turns off automatically once it depletes the tank, so you don’t have to keep watch over it.
The good stuff doesn’t end there, Durastill also comes a self-sterilizing feature. All you have to do is turn off the fan while the tank is near depletion and let the steam do its job!
- Produces 1.5 gallons of distilled water per hour
- Incredibly durable
- Auto-shutoff system
- Doesn’t come with a collection tank
What Are Water Distillers And Why You Should Buy One?
A water distiller does what its name says, it distills water.
More precisely, a water distiller is a water purification system that turns water into steam, then captures it and condenses it to effectively remove any contaminants.
These machines are usually built out of metal and plastic and, in most cases, resemble a coffee maker. Water distillers typically collect distilled water into removable pots you can use to pour the said water.
But Why Would You Buy A Water Distiller?
For starters, distilled water is an excellent alternative to bottled water. Distilling water at home is immensely cheaper than buying bottles of water. This way, you’re not paying for the bottling, packaging, delivery, and many other expenses that rack up the price of bottled water.
Another reason why you should buy a water distiller is that these machines are a cheaper alternative to other water filtration systems. Water distillers usually cost from $70 to $100, while some reverse osmosis filtration systems can cost thousands of dollars.
Water distillers also remove copper, nitrate, and barium from water. These three elements are the most common contaminants found in tap water. They can cause an increased risk of health issues like hypertension and Alzheimer’s disease.
Although your local water treatment plant is quite good at removing harmful bacteria from water, it is still possible for some of them to re-enter the plumbing. The only way to ensure you’re drinking bacteria-free water is to distill it.
Lastly, using a water distiller reduces your carbon footprint. If you start distilling water at home, you won’t have to buy bottled water in the supermarket. This way, you’re reducing the amount of plastic waste you make, and you won’t send so much gas driving to the supermarket.
See Also: The Best Water Cooler Dispensers
5 Factors You Should Consider When Buying A Water Distiller
Now that you’ve learned why you should buy one, it’s time to learn what factors you should consider when buying the best water distiller for your needs.
1. Distillation Chamber Size
- A water distiller’s distillation chamber is the tank in which you add water to begin the distillation process. And since water distillers come in many sizes, so do the distilling chambers.
- The smaller the distillation chamber, the more often you’ll have to distill water. With that said, the larger water distillers with big distilling chambers take up more space and take longer to distill the water.
- This is why you should assess your water situation and then determine what size distillation chamber should cover your needs.
2. Distillation Speed
- Another essential factor you should consider when purchasing a water distiller is how fast it does its job.
- Some models are designed to work more quickly than others. Please note that the distillation process is generally slow, but some water distillers can distill water faster than standard units.
- The most efficient model you can buy will produce from 3 to 4 liters of distilled water in four hours. And since you should take up at least 2 liters of water every day, 3 liters is more than enough to cover your daily water intake.
- Please note that most countertop water distillers have distilling chambers that can’t store up to 4 liters of water. This means you’ll have to periodically add more water if you want to cover your daily water intake.
Related: The Best Countertop Water Filters
- The material a water distiller is made of doesn’t usually affect its efficiency. You might prefer metal over plastic because it looks better. The choice of material is totally up to you. A metal water distiller will work just as good as a plastic one.
- When buying a water distiller that comes with a plastic distilling chamber, make sure it’s made out of BPA-free plastic. This is because water can easily pick up contaminants and other contaminants from plastics.
4. Installation And Maintenance
- Most water distillers don’t require any additional setup. In most cases, all you need to do to start distilling water is plugging it into a power socket.
- With that said, we recommend you check out the product description and customer reviews before you go for a particular water distiller. If a model you buy comes with a carbon filter, you’ll have to flush it under running water before you can start distilling water.
5. Countertop Or Under Counter
- Most water distillers are designed for countertop use. However, you have a power socket under your counter, there’s no reason why you couldn’t use the machine under the counter.
- We recommend you make sure there’s no dust under your counter before installing the machine. This will ensure no contaminants accidentally fall into the distillation chamber.
Read More: The Best Hot Water Dispensers
Before we let you go, let’s recap the results!
We’ve chosen Pure Water Mini-Classic CT as the best water distiller because of it’s high-quality built and the ability to produce 99.99% pure water. What’s more, it doesn’t require any special setup.
Our runner up is Megahome Countertop Water Distiller. This water distiller is just as good as our first pick. However, it comes with an incredibly short cord.
Lastly, our budget pick is OLizee Home Countertop Water Distiller. Even though it’s quite slow, this water distiller won’t burn a hole in your wallet, and it’ll cover your daily water intake needs.