Top 5 Best Vacuum Sealers For Sous Vide 2020:
- Mueller Vacuum Sealer Machine
- FoodSaver V4400 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer
- GERYON Vacuum Sealer
- NutriChef Vacuum Sealer
- FoodSaver V2244 Machine for Food Preservation
Cooking sous vide is growing in popularity more and more every day. If you’re not quite sure what is sous vide, let us tell you.
It’s a way of cooking when the food gets placed in an airtight bag or glass container and cooked at a low temperature for a long time. This creates tasty meals, without the mess from the traditional way of cooking.
Preparing food sous vide is fairly simple. Ziplock bags can be used for sous vide, but they can open from pressure while cooking in the pot. The better, safer alternative is using vacuum bags. Vacuum bags are sealed tightly with the food inside using a vacuum sealer.
Vacuum sealers are a very small and convenient kitchen appliance. There are different types and sizes available on the market, making it hard to choose. So, we simplified the job of choosing the right vacuum sealer for you – read on to see our favorite vacuum sealers perfect for sous vide!
5 Best Vacuum Sealers For Sous Vide In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Mueller Vacuum Sealer Machine – Best Overall
Mueller’s vacuum sealer is the best choice for a vacuum sealer for sous vide there is. The simple and elegant design is made to complement any kitchen counter and decor.
This vacuum sealer allows you to prepare sous vide meals at ease. The sous vide way of cooking may take longer than traditional ways, but the meal preparation takes no more than a few minutes.
Say goodbye to a messy refrigerator and freezer. With this vacuum sealer, you can organize foods in your cooler and maximize space!
There is a panel on top of the device, with soft-touch digital buttons. The buttons have LED lights, to help you find the right setting even in the dark.
Mueller’s vacuum sealer offers two different settings for sealing – dry and moist. This unit is fairly easy to use with these simple controls.
The dry setting is made for solid foods and the moist setting is for steamed or poached foods. For steaming food, check out our top picks on food steamers.
The sealer doesn’t always make a good seal, according to some customer reviews. Keep this in mind if you’re serious about buying Mueller’s vacuum sealer.
There are accessories included in the package. There is an air suction hose to easily vacuum anything, 5 medium-sized bags, and one extra-long vacuum bag roll! You’re all set to start cooking sous vide as soon as the package arrives!
- Easy to use
- Two sealing settings
- Vacuum bags included
- Soft-touch buttons
- It doesn’t always make a perfect seal
2. FoodSaver V4400 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer – Premium Pick
FoodSaver’s V440 is our premium, high-end choice for a vacuum sealer. Sous vide was never easier than with this smart kitchen appliance!
This is a larger model compared to other sealers in this article, but it’s still space-friendly. FoodSaver’s V4400 won’t haggle all the kitchen counter space.
This smart device will keep your food fresh for a few weeks instead of a few days when stored in the fridge. Meal-prep was never easier than with V4400!
The control panel of this device has settings for ‘dry’ and ‘moist’ foods and two LED indicators. One LED tray indicates ‘full tray’, and the other lets you watch the progress of vacuum sealing. The ‘full tray’ indicates that the vacuuming tray is full, and it’s a little slow at responding at times.
FoodSaver’s vacuum sealer is very easy to use thanks to extra features like automatic bag detection. It even has a consistent sealing system that always reaches the right vacuum level every time.
Another thing worth mentioning is automatic moisture detection – the vacuuming unit has a sensor for moisture and switches the mode automatically for the best sous vide results.
Built-in roll storage is included on the side – make bag sizes according to your needs. There’s a dishwasher-safe drip tray to catch any drops of liquid, further ensuring the ease of use.
- Automatic moisture detection
- Automatic sealing
- LED light indicators
- Easy to use
- A drip tray is included
- ‘Full tray’ LED indicator is slow to respond
3. GERYON Vacuum Sealer – Budget-Friendly Choice
GERYON’s vacuum sealer for sous vide is our affordable, budget-friendly choice. This useful kitchen device is perfect for cooking sous vide and preserving any kind of food.
This vacuum sealer is rather lightweight, weighing only two pounds. The design is compact, making it easy to store away when it’s not in use.
The multi-layered heat system is used to remove air from the bag. The seal keeps air out and it prevents freezer burn, so your food doesn’t go to waste. Vacuum sealed food times keep the food safe for up to five times longer than ziplock bags.
There are two settings for sealing – ‘Seal’ and ‘Vac Seal’, making it simple to use. ‘Seal’ button is used when you just want to close a certain bag without removing the air from the bag, and ‘Vac Seal’ is used for vacuum sealing, for example, sous vide bag. There is a ‘Stop’ button that lets you control the process of vacuuming.
The vacuuming device seals automatically when using the ‘Vac Seal’ button. The device adjusts the pressure and vacuum to perfectly close your sous vide. The downside is that it takes a long time to seal a vacuum bag.
Accessories included are 5 heat-seal bags and a long roll of bags for sous vide. The roll can be cut and sealed according to your needs. The device fits bags that are up to 12” inches wide.
- Easy to use
- Two sealing settings
- Compact and lightweight
- Vacuum sealing takes quite some time
4. NutriChef Vacuum Sealer – Perfect Gift Idea
NutriChef’s vacuum sealer is the perfect gift for a family member or a close friend. It’s very aesthetically pleasing, and the black exterior will melt in any type of kitchen.
NutriChef’s vacuum sealer is easy to operate, thanks to simple buttons and commands. It’s quite easy to clean, too, because its exterior is stain-resistant. However, the instruction manual is not helpful for everyone and beginners can have a tough time vacuum sealing bags for sous vide.
This vacuum sealer comes with two different settings for vacuuming – ‘Dry’ and ‘Moist’. ‘Dry’ setting is used for solid, dried foods and ‘Moist’ is used for poached or boiled foods.
You can also select how much pressure is used to vacuum seal with two modes – ‘Normal’ and ‘Gentle’. ‘Normal’ mode regularly vacuums the bag, and the ‘Gentle’ mode is used for tender foods which will lose their shape if vacuumed regularly.
There is a ‘Seal’ option that uses heat to seal a bag without vacuuming – solely for food preservation purposes. Your food is fresh for longer periods of time when using NutriChef’s vacuum sealer.
There are accessories included in the package. Along with five vacuum bags, you get a long vacuum roll that you can cut and resize according to your needs. All bags are reusable and waterproof. There is a wine stopper cork as well.
- Easy to clean
- Many settings for vacuum sealing
- Vacuum bags included
- A wine stopper included
- The instruction manual is not very useful
5. FoodSaver V2244 Machine for Food Preservation – Simple Choice
FoodSaver’s V2244 is our simple choice for a vacuum sealer. It gives you an option to cook sous vide for an affordable price.
This is a time and money-saving device: your food is less likely to spoil when it’s vacuum-sealed and refrigerated. Sous vide takes only a few minutes to prepare, making it one of the fastest methods of cooking.
Using this vacuum sealer is also perfect for those who prefer to stock up on food. Vacuum sealing items bought in bulk will keep them safe and fresh for longer periods of time.
This device comes without sensors and modes for dry or moist foods. Thankfully, there is a drip tray included in the sealing unit that catches any liquid that overflows when vacuum sealing a bag. The drip tray is dishwasher-safe, meaning it’s easy to clean and maintain.
FoodSaver’s vacuuming unit is fairly easy to operate – it doesn’t require you to force close the lid, like some other vacuum sealers. The lid on this unit is easily closed and locked for vacuuming.
Several sizes of bags are included in the package, one regular-sized (11” by 10”), three 1Qt bags, and two gallon-sized bags. There is an accessory hose for manual vacuuming as well. The hose can be used for vacuuming glass jars or bottles.
- Easy to use and clean with a drip tray included
- Accessory hose for manual vacuuming
- Vacuum bags included
- No settings for dry and moist foods
What To Keep In Mind When Buying A Vacuum Sealer For Sous Vide
If you’ve decided to invest in a vacuum sealer, you should know how to use one, and grasp the basics of cooking sous vide. The device is really simple to use and the vacuuming takes only a few minutes of your time. However, you should know how to use it properly to get the best out of your vacuum sealer. If you like dehydrating foods, you will love our article on the best food dehydrators.
Sous vide way of cooking was created for cooking vegetables. The vegetables simply taste better and retain their original taste and nutrients this way. Ziplock bags can be used for sous vide, but vacuum-sealed bags are better for extra-long sous vide cooking. It’s also more convenient to sous vide cook something in a vacuum-sealed bag.
Vacuum-sealed bags of cooked food are easily stored in the fridge or the freezer. And, since there is no air inside the bag, the food stays fresher longer. Because of that, sous vide is perfect for meal planning for the week or just a few days ahead.
Get to know the basics of sous vide first. Some foods have to be ready-made before vacuuming. This part involves cooking or even boiling the foods before placing them in the vacuum bag.
Vegetables mostly have to be boiled before they’re placed in the bag, like turnips, cabbage, broccoli, kale or Brussels sprouts.
Lamb or pork cooked sous vide will make the meat taste better than any other way of preparing. The meat will stay soft, chewy, and full of flavor. Another great food is sous vide eggs – this variant of cooking will give eggs a better texture than a regular boil.
On the other hand, there are some foods that cannot be vacuum-sealed like soft cheeses, garlic, or mushrooms. These foods are able to grow bacteria without the presence of air – they can develop mold or mildew either way.
Also, if you are about to prepare sous vide fillets of fish or chicken – just don’t. These foods are very soft and delicate, and they will fall apart when taken out of the bag. That won’t make them unsafe to eat, just unappetizing.
So, there are a few things to keep in mind when buying a vacuum sealer, especially if this is the first vacuum sealer you’re buying. Choose according to your needs and you will use your sealing unit for a long time!
1. Type Or Chamber Vacuum Sealer
- These are the two basic types of vacuum sealers. The type vacuum sealer is rather easy to use, making it a better fit for someone who is buying their first vacuum sealer. This variant of a sealer is intended for home use. Food can be vacuumed in any size of a bag and the user is controlling the process of vacuuming. The open side of the bag is placed inside the device, and the device draws out the air and creates a seal. A type vacuum sealer is small in size and compact – it’s stored easily, but it doesn’t take much space on the counter, either.
- The chamber sealer is a little different – it has a place inside where you place the bag with the food inside the bag. The bag will be sealed inside the vacuum sealer. The device creates pressure and pushes the air out of the bag, sealing the bag afterward. A great thing about chamber sealers is the ability to vacuum a few bags at once. This type of vacuum sealer is used commercially, as it’s more expensive than a type vacuum sealer. They are rather large compared to type vacuum sealers and they take a lot of counter space.
- Another important thing is how your new vacuum sealer seals the bag. There are a few types of seals and the device usually comes with a few different settings. The basic types are that it can create a single or double seal on the bag.
- Furthermore, there are vacuum sealers with a sensor for ‘Dry’ or ‘Moist’ foods. If the device detects moisture, the food will seal the bag as ‘Moist’.
- When choosing a vacuum sealer for sous vide, ask yourself: where will I place it once it’s delivered? If you’re already struggling with kitchen space (we feel your pain), look for a vacuum device smaller in size. It should be compact and take little kitchen counter space. Type vacuum sealers take less space, so they might be more convenient for cozier kitchens than chamber sealers.
Best Vacuum Sealer For Sous Vide of 2020 – Conclusion
Now that we’ve reviewed our favorite choices of vacuum sealers for sous vide, it’s time to pronounce the best of the best. Choosing the best vacuum sealers was not easy because of so many great options on the market. So, without any further delay, here are our top choices:
Best Overall: Mueller Vacuum Sealer Machine
- Mueller’s vacuum sealer is the best vacuum sealer for sous vide there is. It’s compact and elegant, and easy to use. It offers so much in a small kitchen appliance – sous vide was never easier than with Mueller!
Premium Pick: FoodSaver V4400 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer
- FoodSaver’s V4400 is our high-end, luxurious choice for a vacuum sealer. Sous vide is endlessly simplified with this device – it vacuums and adjusts pressure automatically. All you need is to place the food in the bag – and V4400 does the rest for you!
Budget-Friendly Choice: GERYON Vacuum Sealer
- GERYON’s vacuum sealer is our low-cost, affordable vacuuming unit. This device is easy to use, it’s small and convenient. Vacuuming is a breeze with GERYON, without breaking the bank!