Top 5 Best Tamale Steamers 2020:
- Gas One Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Steamer 8 Gallon with lid/cover & Steamer Rack
- 20 Qt Tamale Steamer Vaporera Stock Pot Premium Aluminum Tamalera 5 Gallons by Smart Cook
- Bayou Classic 1136 36-qt Stainless Stockpot with Basket, quarts, Silver
- IMUSA USA MEXICANA-424 Aluminum Steamer with Glass Lid 24-Quart, Silver
- Hamilton Beach 37530A Digital Food Steamer, 5.5 Quart, Silver & Black
Do you prefer home cooked meals and tamales happen to be your favorite, but making them feels a lot like a chore?
You will agree, cooking tamales can be quite difficult. They require both time and patience and not having just the right steamer makes the whole process a lot more stressful.
Don’t worry, we are here to help you!
After carefully selecting and trying out a lot of steamers, we’ve found the answer to the question: What is the best tamale steamer?
So, without further ado, if you are eager to learn about tamale steamers, keep on reading!
See Also: The Best Pot Holders
5 Best Tamale Steamers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
These are our top picks:
1. Gas One Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Steamer 8 Gallon with lid/cover & Steamer Rack – Our Top Pick
Gas One Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Steamer is simply one of the best tamale steamers due to its high quality and affordable price.
Thanks to its sturdy stainless steel construction, this is a model made to last. Not only will it last long; it is also easy to clean, safe and dependable by design.
Its size and the tall, narrow shape all make Gas One Stainless Steel Stock Pot with Steamer ideal for preparing numerous tamales, which is a life saver if you have a lot of mouths to feed.
This model comes with handles on two sides of the pot and another one on the lid, so it’s easy to carry, but always be careful because they tend to get very hot.
Here is another great thing about this kitchen appliance – thanks to its stainless steel body, it has great heat conduction!
When making tamales, it’s also important to choose a pot that has a steamer rack that will ensure even levels of heat – and this one does!
We should warn you, even though it’s well-constructed, the bottom of this model can warp slightly, making it not very suitable for glass stovetops. However, this is a minor flaw that many people choose to overlook due to its other awesome qualities.
- Great for cooking plenty of tamales
- Made of durable, high quality materials
- Has a removable steamer rack
- Reasonable price
- The bulging bottom of the pot makes it kind of impossible to use on glass stovetops
2. Bayou Classic 1136 36-qt Stainless Stockpot with Basket, quarts, Silver – Premium but Pricey Choice
If you have a small kitchen or storage space, Bayou Classic 1136 Is a great choice for you. It is a steamer, boiler and a fryer all in one – yes, you read correctly! See Also: The Best Turkey Fryers
This is a very handy device that gives you so many options and will be a great addition to your household.
One of the first things you’ll notice when you see Bayou Classic 1336 is the design. It is so well-crafted and the stainless steel gives it a nice, shiny look and a solid construction. As the name says, it’s a classic.
Let’s look at handles – both of them are perfectly placed so it is very easy to carry the pot. The lid is also equipped with a handle.
Now, about the steamer – it’s a large, perforated basket that fits perfectly into the pot. It also has a huge handle, so taking it out should be a piece of cake!
While this kitchen appliance is a premium pick, there are a few small details we have to consider. Although it is made of stainless steel, a little extra care is recommended to make sure it doesn’t rust.
And the last thing – compared to the other pots, this one is a bit pricey. So if you have a limited budget, maybe this isn’t the number one choice for you.
- Made of high quality stainless steel that will last long
- Has a steaming basket
- Very large – great for cooking plenty of tamales
- Prone to rusting
- Not exactly budget-friendly
3. 20 Qt Tamale Steamer Vaporera Stock Pot Premium Aluminum Tamalera 5 Gallons by Smart Cook – Best Budget-friendly Option
SmartCook Tamale Steamer Vaporera Stock Pot is the best option if you are in the search for an inexpensive tamale steamer.
This is a very simple and easy to use pot. It is made of aluminum, which means it may not last as long as a pot made of stainless steel, but as far as cooking goes, it will get the job done. The aluminum is a premium material that actually distributes heat in an excellent way.
But that’s not all!
You can prepare so many healthy and delicious dishes with this steamer!
You can cook not only tamales, but also seafood and vegetables in a healthy, oil-free way. This pot is great for cooking soup, stew and chili.
SmartCook comes with a steamer rack that has holes of different sizes, making it a nice water strainer. The pot has two handles that remain cold even after long exposure to heat!
There is also a handle on the lid which sits perfectly on the pot and it doesn’t let any heat or steam escape. When cooking tamales, it is very important to keep the steam inside the pot, otherwise you might not get the perfect soft and moist texture you want.
Overall, this is a simple steamer that is very easy to use, and it gives good value for money.
- Affordable price
- Has a great steam rack
- Fits many tamales
- Can be used to cook seafood, vegetables, soup, stew…
- The aluminum body tends to rust faster than stainless steel
4. IMUSA USA MEXICANA-424 Aluminum Steamer with Glass Lid 24-Quart, Silver – Not to be Missed
IMUSA USA MEXICANA-424 is another example of a good, affordable pot.
Want to know what the best part is? It can fit 40 tamales! This means that if you’re looking for a pot that can fit plenty of tamales at once, IMUSA USA MEXICANA-424 is perfect for you!
IMUSA is a steamer with an aluminum body and a lid made of tempered glass that lets you see the food while it’s cooking. The aluminum makes a proper distribution of the heat in the pot, so it is amazing for preparing tamales.
As all good tamale steamers, this one also contains a removable steamer insert. This is an important part because it makes the pot more versatile.
This is a pot that’s spacious but not heavy, so carrying it around should not be a problem.
There is something that makes it even easier to carry this pot! The amazing phenolic handles that stay cold all the time. This means no need to worry about burning your hands ever! The lid doesn’t have a handle, but it does have a knob that also stays cool always!
Because of it aluminum body, this pot tends to get rusty rather quickly. However, with proper care it should go the distance.
All in all, this is a great device if you need to make a lot of tamales and it’s budget friendly!
- Large capacity (up to 40 tamales)
- Great heat distribution
- Removable steamer insert
- Lightweight and multipurpose
- Handles that stay cold
- Not very durable
5. Hamilton Beach 37530A Digital Food Steamer, 5.5 Quart, Silver & Black – Modern and Versatile
When steaming food, one of the concerns is running out of the water in the pot. With a Hamilton Beach Digital Food Steamer this is not a problem at all, because this steamer comes with a separate water refilling part that will make a sound when it’s low on water, and you can safely refill the water while it’s cooking!
This two-tier steamer makes it possible for you to cook an entire meal at once!
The bottom tier is amazing for cooking tamales or any other type of food. And the top part is there to always make sure you eat healthy, since it’s perfect for cooking vegetables and rice. See Also: The Best Stainless Steel Rice Cookers
If it’s the “digital” part that worries you about purchasing this model, don’t let it be. It’s actually quite simple to use. All you need to do is set the number of minutes that you want the food to steam for, and that’s it! An alarm will alert you when your food is ready.
One more great thing about this steamer is that the clear plastic container will give you a good look into what’s going on inside, so you can always know exactly where you’re at in the cooking process.
Overall, this is an easy-to-use, multipurpose kitchen appliance that will make the whole cooking process a lot easier for you!
- Small size – easy to store and carry
- Alarm that alerts you when the food is done
- Digital touchpad gives you full control
- Plastic body makes it less durable
- Not dishwasher safe
What Is A Tamale Steamer?
Tamale steamer is a very useful kitchen appliance. If you have ever tried tamales, you know that they have a soft and moist texture. And if you tried to make them, then you for sure know that this is not easy to achieve. That’s where tamale steamers come in.
In simple terms, a tamale steamer is essentially a pot that has a removable steamer insert and can boil and steam all kinds of food, including tamale.
How Do Tamale Steamers Work?
Tamale steamers work to make your life easier. They cook tamales through the boiling water steam. This is a process that helps you make the most perfect tamales.
Another thing is, if you are making tamales for a lot of people, you really should use a tamale steamer. Most tamale steamers can fit plenty of tamales at once!
Things To Consider Before Buying A Tamale Steamer
With things like tamale steamers, you should never rush to buy. Always make an informed decision to make sure you get your money’s worth. Here are the key things you have to know before buying:
1. Size And Type
- Yes, size matters. If you are never going to make a lot of tamales, you don’t want to buy a large tamale steamer. It would be a waste of your space and possibly money. So, firstly, think really deep about your needs now and in the future, and then decide which size to get.
- In this article, we’ve included some large and some not so large steamers, so don’t worry, you’ll find what you’re looking for.
- As for type, traditionally, tamale steamers are made from stainless steel or aluminum. But, of course, with modern technology, we now also have digital steamers with plastic containers. Digital steamers tend to be smaller in size and multipurpose, so make sure to check them too!
- A steamer rack is probably the most crucial detail here. If the pot doesn’t have a steamer rack or an insert with holes, it will be just another pot.
- These racks with holes are important since they allow steam to get in during cooking. They usually come with the pot, so there’s no need to purchase them separately. All good steamers come with a rack or insert, so don’t worry, you will not miss it.
- Most lids have a handle or a knob on top of them. If you are concerned about burning your hands, there are some pots that have handles that stay cold during cooking!
- Lids are usually made from stainless steel or tempered glass. With a glass lid, you will be able to see inside of the pot while the food’s cooking and monitor the process easily.
- Always make sure that the lid fits perfectly and doesn’t let any heat or steam escape!
- Every pot usually has two handles. They should be placed tightly because the steamer will probably get heavy during cooking, so if you have to move it, it’s important to be sure that the handles are safely attached.
- Although most steamers come with metal handles that will get hot while cooking, you can always find a steamer with handles that will always stay cool.
- Tamale steamers can be made from many different materials, but we recommend that you always buy one that’s made from stainless steel or aluminum. These are high quality and will last you a longer time.
- Nevertheless, always make sure to clean them properly so they don’t get rusty.
See Also: The Best Food Dehydrators
Final Thoughts And My Picks
Trying out all these tamale steamers to find the best one was, although fun, not an easy task.
It’s safe to say that you will not go wrong if you choose any of the top 5 we told you about in this article. So, go on and choose the one best suited for your personal needs!
All things considered, these are our final thoughts and recommendations:
- Gas One Stainless Steel is an amazing pot for tamales because it’s high quality and affordable. It’s designed and made to last and it will fit a lot of tamales at once!
- The Tamale Steamer Vaporera Stock Pot is a great choice for tamales. It is very easy to use, multipurpose and budget-friendly! In this price range, it is one of the best.
- Bayou Classic 1136 is, undoubtedly, the premium choice. If you don’t mind spending a little bit more money, this is a tamale steamer for you. Plus, it’s versatile, high quality and will last you a long time, so consider the money that you spend on this pot an investment.