Top 5 Best Sushi Making Kits 2020:
- Aya Sushi Making Kit
- BAMBOOWORX Sushi Making Kit Deluxe with Chopsticks – 100% Bamboo
- Sushi Making Kit by Yomo Sushi
- IOOLEEM Sushi Making Kit
- SushiQuik Super Easy Making Kit
Japanese cuisine is one of the most healthy cuisines in the world. Many Japanese people live a long and healthy life, and this is in no small part thanks to their fish-based diet. Fish is rich in vitamins and minerals, and not to mention omega-3 fatty acids which play an important role in your cardiac health!
Sushi is undoubtedly one of the most popular Japanese food, not only because it tastes so good, but also because of how good it is for your overall health. You can have delicious sushi in many restaurants, but as an exotic dish, it’s usually quite expensive.
So why not try to make it at home? All you need is a sushi making kit! Even if you’re a complete beginner and don’t have a lot of culinary experience, you’ll be able to make mouth-watering sushi with the right kit.
Sushi making kits are easy to use and usually come with detailed step-to-step instructions. By making sushi at home, you’ll save a lot of money, you can put all of your favorite ingredients and it can be a fun experience for your whole family!
If you’re not sure what a good sushi making kit includes, we’ve made this list of the best sushi making kits on the market to help you. So, to find out what kits made our list, keep on reading!
Related: The Best Japanese Rice Cookers
5 Best Sushi Making Kits In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Aya Sushi Making Kit – Best Overall
Aya is an original Japanese brand with a long tradition in producing sushi making kits. This Deluxe sushi making kit is one of their most popular products. Aya’s policy is to encourage people without culinary experience to try and make their own sushi, so they created this kit to be very beginner-friendly!
Whether you’re a professional or an amateur when it comes to sushi, Aya sushi making kit is a good choice. The kit contains 11 pieces in total. The pieces come in many sizes and shapes so you can create all kinds of sushi rolls. You can even have heart-shaped sushi rolls!
Aya claims that video tutorials are better than e-books, so they included some free videos to help you and show you how to use the kit step-by-step to make delicious sushi. You also get a non-stick rice spreader and a chef knife. Japanese prefer their rice to be sticky, so it’s a good thing that the rice spreader has a non-stick layer. The knife is very sharp and ergonomically shaped to help you cut the pieces smoothly. See Also: The Best Sushi Knives
When it comes to cleaning, you’ll be happy to know that the kit is dishwasher safe, so once you’re done using it, just put it in a dishwasher! Also, all the materials are BPA free and approved by the FDA, so you can safely use it with food.
- 11 pieces set
- BPA free materials
- Knife included
- Dishwasher safe
- Suitable for beginners
- The price is a bit above average
2. BAMBOOWORX Sushi Making Kit Deluxe with Chopsticks – 100% Bamboo – Budget-Friendly Option
While its competitors focus on modernized techniques, Bambooworx prefers to do it in the traditional way! If you want to have a real sushi making experience, this sushi making kit is ideal for you!
This kit includes two rolling mats, a rice paddle, and a rice spreader, which are the essential tools you need to make sushi. The rolling mats are made of high-quality bamboo material with a sturdy construction. Bamboo is a strong natural material that provides sustainability and has been used for centuries now, especially for preparing sushi.
Both mats are 9.5 inches in length and width. It’s recommended to use a saran wrap between the mats and the sushi just because it’s easier to clean afterward. Since the mats are not dishwasher safe, you’ll have to wash then by hand. Use mild soap and warm water, and make sure to dry them thoroughly with a soft cloth.
Bamboo is sensitive to high temperatures so you also have to make sure they’re not exposed to sunlight or direct fire. To extend their lifespan, you can occasionally use food-safe oils like the mineral oil to give it a nice texture and more durability. The rice paddle and spreader are made of wood, and they are about 8 inches in length.
The only downside is that it’s maybe not the best choice if you’re a beginner since you don’t get a lot of accessories included!
- Natural bamboo rolling mats
- Rice paddle and spreader included
- Sturdy construction
- It’s not dishwasher safe
3. Sushi Making Kit by Yomo Sushi – Premium Choice
As you probably know, there are different kinds of sushi. This sushi making kit is perfect for all four kinds of maki sushi – futomaki, maki, uramaki, and hosomaki. You can have all this delicious sushi in just 4 easy steps. Have endless fun while making sushi with your family, and in 4 simple and easy-to-follow steps, make sushi like a pro.
In this kit, you get a Teflon mat which has a non-stick coating. This is a great feature because it means that the food won’t stick to it and cleaning it is a breeze. The mat doesn’t have any toxic chemicals and it’s safe to use with food.
You also get a rice spreader to help you spread the rice evenly. The spreader is also non-sticky so it’s easy to clean after use. Besides the spreader, there is a cutter included. The cutter is very sharp and it’s made to cut perfectly even sushi pieces!
If you’re a beginner when it comes to sushi, Yomo Sushi has got you covered. They give you a full step-by-step instruction not only on rolling sushi, but also on how to cook rice, how to make sushi vinegar, the recipes for all 4 different kinds of maki sushi, and the detailed list of ingredients.
- Perfect for making all kinds of sushi
- Rice spreader and a cutter included
- Rolling mat has a non-stick coating
- Thorough and easy to follow instructions included
- It’s pricey
- Not dishwasher safe
4. IOOLEEM Sushi Making Kit – Perfect For Beginners
IOOLEEM sushi making kit is probably the best kit out there if you’re a rookie when it comes to making sushi. This kit is extremely practical because it contains 15 pieces!
In this kit, you get a sushi bazooka, a cucumber cutter, a clear storage bag, two rolling mats, three pairs of chopsticks, a rice spreader, a rice paddle, two chopsticks holders, two dipping plates, an avocado slicer, and a printed recipe. This is undoubtedly everything you need to make sushi.
The rolling mats are made of bamboo and they are both 9.5 inches long and wide, but one is thin and the other one is thick. The mats don’t contain any glue and they are made of 100% natural, food-safe materials.
One of the most time-consuming steps in sushi preparation is cutting the vegetables into the shape you want, especially if you’re an amateur. With the cucumber cutter and the avocado slicer, you are now able to cut vegetables quickly and effortlessly, and all the pieces will be even!
With this sushi making kit, you can have fun preparing sushi for your whole family and you can even make large amounts of sushi for a party! Keep in mind that not all of the pieces are dishwasher safe, like the bamboo mats, so make sure to read the instructions carefully!
- Incredible 15 pieces set
- 100% natural bamboo rolling mats
- Rice spreader and paddle included
- A knife is not included
- Some parts are not dishwasher safe
5. SushiQuik Super Easy Making Kit – Fun For The Whole Family
SushiQuick sushi making kit is a great choice if you want to have a fun experience that your whole family can enjoy. It’s completely safe to use for kids, so you can let them get creative while learning how to make sushi.
This is a kit that’s been on the market for a few years, and its popularity is only increasing. It comes with 7 pieces in total, including a rolling mat, a horizontal stand, a non-stick paddle, a training frame, a roll cutter, and two end caps. This is basically all you need to make delicious sushi at home!
It’s also very easy to use it, too. First, use the horizontal stand to support the detachable mat and put the training frame on the nori sheet to contain the rice and prevent it from falling outside. After that, use the paddle to spread out the rice and place other ingredients on top. The paddle is very useful because it’s shaped so that it spreads the rice evenly every time. After you wrap up the rolls, place the roll cutter on them to get even pieces of sushi.
All the parts are made of BPA free hard plastic so they are both safe to use and easy to clean since they’re dishwasher safe. Considering all the pieces you get, and their quality, the price is more than okay!
- 7 pieces set
- Safe for kids to use
- Very easy to use – ideal for beginners
- Dishwasher safe
- Knife is not included
Benefits Of Sushi
Have you ever wondered why Japanese people live longer than most other nations in the world? One of the reasons for sure is their healthy diet which consists mostly of fresh fish. Sushi is a traditional Japanese food that’s now popular around the world.
Not only is sushi delicious, but it’s also very healthy. There are a number of benefits you get from eating sushi on a regular basis. In addition to the amazing flavors, sushi also introduces a variety of nutrients in your body! One of the essential ingredients is specially prepared rice, so you can get all the carbohydrates you need from it. Another ingredient is nori seaweed which is full of iodine that has a lot of benefits for your health, including regulating your hormonal balance! See Also: The Best Stainless Steel Rice Cookers
The main ingredient is, of course, fish. Fish are a great source of selenium and omega-3 fatty acids, as well as various minerals and vitamins. Omega-3 plays an important part in your heart health. The fish is also full of iron that creates red blood cells, encourages hair growth, and improves your skin tone!
On top of all this, sushi contains a lot of vegetables, so you can have a delicious and healthy meal! See Also: The Best Vegetable Choppers
Why Do You Need A Sushi Making Kit
If you love sushi and you wish to eat it more often, then it’s a good idea to try to learn how to make it at home. As you probably know, sushi in restaurants can be quite expensive, so why not learn how to make it and have it any time you want?
Sushi can be a complicated meal to prepare at home if you don’t have the proper equipment and a sushi making kit contains all the tools you could possibly need to make the best sushi.
Preparing sushi at home has a lot of advantages. You can eat it from the comfort of your home, and you can always put all of your favorite ingredients and make it according to your taste!
Besides this, sushi making kits are affordable, so you will save a lot of money once you start making your own sushi instead of eating it at restaurants. Plus, preparing sushi can be a fun activity for the whole family!
Things To Consider Before Buying A Sushi Making Kit
Although sushi making kits are not very expensive, it’s still important to think about some things before you decide which one to buy. The accessories you get are crucial, especially if you’re a beginner, so make sure the kit you want includes everything you need. Next, think about the material it’s made of, how easy it is to clean and so on.
1. Things Included In The Kit
- It’s important to check what the kit you wish to get includes. A rolling mat is an essential tool you’ll need to make sushi rolls. Also, consider the size of the rolling mat and whether it’s big enough to suit your needs.
- Next are rice shaping tools. Rice is a crucial ingredient in sushi, so you have to have some tools that will help you shape it, like a rice paddle or a rice spreader. It’s always good when the sushi making kit includes a knife or a cutter. These knives are dedicated fish knives, so it’s better to use them than your regular knives. See Also: The Best Electric Fillet Knives
- In conclusion, the more accessories the kit contains, the better, especially if you’re a novice when it comes to making sushi!
2. The Material
- Always make sure that the material used to make the kit is a food-grade material. A lot of sushi making kits are made of bamboo, which is a natural material that’s safe to use with food. Natural materials are a good choice because they don’t have any toxic chemicals that could be harmful to your health.
- Other materials include hard plastic and Teflon. They are also good choices but they have to be BPA free and approved by the FDA so you know they are safe to use with food!
- Sushi making process can be quite messy, so you have to think about how easy your kit is to clean after use. The ideal sushi making kit is dishwasher safe because in that case, you don’t have to worry about washing it and you can simply put it in a dishwasher!
- If the material is not dishwasher safe, at least make sure it’s non-sticky so it’s easy to clean with water and soap.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
By learning how to make sushi at home, you can have delicious and healthy meal for your entire family to enjoy at any time! All you need is a good sushi making kit. Since there are so many good choices available, we’ve decided to help you with our list of the best sushi making kits, and now we’re happy to tell you about our top recommendations!
Best Overall: Aya Sushi Making Kit
- Aya sushi making kit has everything you’ll need to make excellent sushi at home. By following just a few simple steps, you’ll be able to make all kinds of sushi quickly and efficiently. Considering the number of pieces included and their quality, the price is very reasonable!
Best Value For Money: BAMBOOWORX Sushi Making Kit Deluxe with Chopsticks – 100% Bamboo
- One of the best and really affordable choices is this kit by Bambooworx. They try to keep the traditional sushi making way alive, so they made this kit entirely of natural materials. The mats are 100% bamboo and the rice spreader and paddle are made of wood. All parts are of great quality and they’ll last you a long time!
Our Premium Pick: Sushi Making Kit by Yomo Sushi
- Yomo Sushi made this kit with high-quality materials and high-performance in mind. It comes with very detailed step-to-step instructions not only on how to use it, but also how to cook rice and so on. If you can invest in a good sushi making kit, we recommend you to go with this one!