Top 5 Best Sushi Knives 2020:
- TUO Sashimi Sushi Yanagiba Knife
- Yoshihiro Shiroko Kasumi Yanagi Sushi Knife
- Mercer Culinary Asian Collection Yanagi Knife
- Lucky Cook Sushi Knife
- Kai Wasabi Black Yanagiba Knife
Japanese people consider sushi-making an art, and they’re right! Preparing sushi requires skill which you can acquire in time, but the necessary skills won’t take you far if you don’t have the proper equipment, which includes a sushi knife. Sushi knives have been made for centuries in Japan, and now they’re available to buy everywhere!
Whether you’re a professional chef or you just want to make delicious sushi at home, a sushi knife, or Yanagiba, is an essential tool for you. It’s a handy knife, created specifically for sushi rolls and raw fish. Sushi knives are long, thin, and sharp so they can cut paper-thin slices of food without damaging its structure, texture, or flavor!
If you want to buy a sushi knife, but you’re not sure what to look for and how to choose the best one, we’ve got you covered with our list of the best sushi knives on the market! So, if you want to find out more, keep on reading!
5 Best Sushi Knives In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. TUO Sashimi Sushi Yanagiba Knife – Best Overall
Undoubtedly one of the best sushi knives is TUO Sashimi Sushi Yanagiba Knife. You will not be disappointed by its looks or performance because it’s a knife that focuses on emphasizing the functionality of excellent balance and elegant dignity.
The attractive appearance of the knife is achieved with the sandblasted finish that gives it a high-end look. The knife has a 10.5-inch blade, and it’s made of extra quality high carbon stainless steel. This type of steel is extremely resistant to rust, which makes it durable that you’ll be able to use it for many years to come! Thanks to the high-tech vacuum heat treatment and nitrogen cool treatment, the blade steel can reach up to 58 Rockwell Hardness!
The single-edged design of the blade gives you more control and allows you to cut paper-thin slices. The edge of the blade also resembles a scalpel and this helps with the preservation of the texture and flavor while cutting. The great thing about this knife is that you can use it for many things. Besides fish, it can also cut raw poultry, pork tenderloins, and other tender meats! See Also: The Best Poultry Shears
The simple yet elegant handle has a matte black finish, and it’s made of POM plastic which means its quite sturdy. The ergonomic octagon shape gives you a firm grip and full control of slicing while sitting comfortably in your hand.
- Unique polished design
- Extremely durable high carbon steel blade
- Ergonomic octagon-shaped handle
- Affordable price
- It’s a high-maintenance knife
2. Yoshihiro Shiroko Kasumi Yanagi Sushi Knife – Premium Choice
One of the most exquisite high-end sushi knives is Yoshihiro Shiroko Kasumi Knife. It’s a handmade knife made by professionals who mastered the art of sushi. The knife offers exceptional performance and value.
Yoshihiro sushi knife is made of white steel #2 with a hardness of 62-63 on the Rockwell scale, and it’s forged with iron in order to create the breathtaking mist patterns called Kasumi.
If you want a really unique sushi knife, this is the one for you. It’s made proudly in Japan, each piece is handcrafted so it has some unique features, and it’s not mass-produced.
This knife was made by Japanese professionals, according to Japanese traditional techniques. It’s a long slicing knife carefully designed to help you cut extremely thin slices of fish, ideal for sushi and sashimi, and it features a flat grind on the front side, a concave grind, and a flat rim on the back. This combination ensures that the blade cuts the food with minimal damage so it doesn’t spoil the texture and flavor.
Yoshihiro sushi knife has a traditional Japanese D-shaped handle. The handle is ergonomic and lightweight, so it’s very comfortable to hold and easy to control. Besides the knife, you also get a protective wooden sheath called Saya. Not only does it protect the knife, but it also adds to safety, because the sharp blade is not exposed.
- Handcrafted in Japan
- Made of extremely hard white steel #2
- Unique design of the blade
- Protective sheath included
- It’s pricey
- Requires special care
3. Mercer Culinary Asian Collection Yanagi Knife – Best Budget-Friendly Option
If you’re looking for an affordable sushi knife, Mercer Yanagi knife is a great choice. It slices paper-thin pieces every single time, and it’s quite durable so you’ll be able to use it for many years!
The knife has a single edge blade which is taper-ground for a fine stone finish. This means it can cut through fish, meat, and vegetables quickly and effectively without destroying the texture or the flavor of the food. The whole knife is 15 inches long and the blade is 10 inches long. The blade is made of premium German high carbon stainless steel. This material is resistant to rust, corrosion, and discoloration, it’s very durable and able to withstand harsh conditions.
Mercer is a brand with a long tradition in making high-quality cutlery that comes at a surprisingly affordable price. This knife was created with premium materials and clever design to be the ultimate sushi knife. Mercer Sushi knife is NSF certified, which means it meets their standard for safety, quality, and performance!
As with all sushi knives, you have to take proper care of it. You should never put it in a dishwasher because the heat and the detergents may damage the handle. Instead, wash it by hand with warm water and gentle soap, and dry it with a soft cloth.
- High carbon stainless steel blade
- Resistant to rust and discoloration
- Long blade
- Meets the NSF standards for safety and performance
- Price is affordable
- Not dishwasher safe
4. Lucky Cook Sushi Knife – Perfect for Beginners
Lucky Cook Sushi knife is an ideal choice if you’re an amateur when it comes to making sushi! Thanks to its design and high performance, you’ll be able to slice thin pieces of delicate food such as raw fish or sushi rolls perfectly and effortlessly, without crushing their structure!
The blade of the Lucky Cook sushi knife is 10 inches long, so it can cut through anything in just one stroke. This is really useful with sushi rolls and raw fish because it helps keep the texture of food intact. The blade is narrow, asymmetric, sharp, and it’s made of high-quality stainless steel that’s resistant to rust, corrosion, and staining.
The handle is slightly oval, and it’s made of natural wood. It’s completely non-slip, so it feels very comfortable in your hand and it gives you a firm grip and full control. The wood can be very sensitive, so you have to take proper care of it to avoid staining and similar damages. Never leave it to soak in water for a long time, because the handle can deteriorate quickly.
The use of natural materials adds to the philosophy of Japanese culture and cuisine, which is very nature-oriented, and it emphasizes harmony and simplicity. The knife comes in a decorative box, which makes it a perfect gift idea for someone who loves to cook!
- Perfect for beginners
- Stainless steel sharp blade
- 10 inches long blade
- Non-slip wooden handle
- The wooden handle is sensitive
5. Kai Wasabi Black Yanagiba Knife – From The City of Knives
Kai knife is a great tool that really deserves to be featured on this list. It was created with premium materials and high-performance in mind, so it’s very durable and effective.
The design of the blade is quite unique. It’s a single edge blade with the Japanese symbol for “wasabi” embellished on it. Compared to other sushi knives, this one is a little bit shorter, as it measures 8.25 inches in length. This is still quite long, but maybe not the best choice if you’re inexperienced when it comes to making sushi. However, if you already know your way around sushi rolls and raw fish, you’ll absolutely love this knife!
The sharp blade is made of Daido 1K6 high-carbon stainless steel. This is a high-quality Japanese material used to make only the top-notch tools. Kai is a Japanese brand from Seki City, known as the city of knives and swords. They’ve spent decades perfecting tools for making sushi, and this knife is a great example of that.
The handle is made of polypropylene blended with bamboo powder with the addition of an antibacterial agent for safe and clean food preparation. The octagon shape gives you a firm grip, and the material is non-slip, so you have full control of slicing! Although the knife is dishwasher safe, the manufacturer recommends you wash it by hand!
- Premium Japanese steel blades
- 8.25 inches single edge sharp blade
- Ergonomic non-slip handle
- The price is reasonable
- A bit shorter compared to other knives
Things To Consider Before You Buy A Sushi Knife
Sushi knives are very unique and if you want to buy the best one, you ought to know some things before you make a decision. They differ from other knives in a few specific features, like the material of the blade, the shape and the length of the blade, and they usually require special maintenance.
1. Blade Material
- One of the crucial factors that make a good sushi knife is the material of the blade. The blade of the sushi knife has to be extremely sharp and it has to stay that way as long as possible.
- The best material for a sushi knife blade is stainless steel. It’s usually a high-carbon steel, with a hardness of 58-63 on the Rockwell scale. This means it’s very hard, durable, and it can withstand extreme conditions. It also means it will stay sharp for a long time. Some knives crafted in Japan are made of Japanese Daido steel.
- You probably wonder whether it’s crucial that a sushi knife is actually made in Japan. Well, of course not. However, it’s also not wrong to assume that most great sushi knives are from Japan since sushi is Japanese food and they’ve been making long, thin, sharp sushi knives for centuries. Seki city is a Japanese sword and knife city, and many of the best sushi knives come from there. In fact, in this list, we’ve included one that originates from Seki city!
- Of course, there are many amazing non-Japanese sushi knives that perform just as well, so this feature is not that important unless you want a genuine Japanese sushi-making experience!
3. Blade Length
- Sushi knives come in lengths from 7” up to 13”, but most common length is usually around 10”. This is the perfect length that allows you to cut raw fish and sushi rolls in one movement without jeopardizing the structure and the texture of the food.
- If you’re a beginner when it comes to sushi, it’s best you go with a long knife because a shorter knife may require multiple strokes and it may cause the sushi rolls to fall apart.
- Although the handle is not the most important feature, it’s still important enough to consider it. The shape of the handle has to be ergonomic and it has to feel comfortable in your hand. It’s also good when the handle has a non-slip feature because that adds to the safety and gives you a firm grip and more control.
- Sushi knives usually require some special care. Sometimes it’s because of the blade, sometimes because of the sensitive handles, depending on the material.
- Some sushi knives are safe to put in a dishwasher, but it’s not recommended by the manufacturer. It’s always better to wash your sushi knife with warm water and gentle soap and to dry it with a soft towel.
- Sushi knives also require special sharpening. To sharpen a Japanese sushi knife, always use water stone, and never sharpening steel!
- Another advice when it comes to maintenance is to never use your sushi knife on frozen food! Sometimes it can be used on tender meats, like poultry or pork tenderloin, but never on frozen food.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
In conclusion, the best sushi knife really depends on your needs. There are a lot of amazing choices, from materials and designs to different price ranges. We’ve carefully selected our top choices, and now it’s time to choose the best one for you!
But first, let us tell you about our top recommendations!
Best Overall: TUO Sashimi Sushi Yanagiba Knife
- When you consider the ratio of the price and the performance and quality it offers, the TUO sushi knife is an absolute winner! It’s a knife made of premium high carbon steel, with a beautiful design and great performance. And, it comes at a reasonable price!
Our Premium Pick: Yoshihiro Shiroko Kasumi Yanagi Sushi Knife
- When it comes to uniqueness and exceptional performance, Yoshihiro sushi knife is unbeatable. This beautiful knife is handcrafted by Japanese sushi masters with Japanese traditional techniques and materials. The only downside of this knife is the above-average price!
Budget-Friendly Choice: Mercer Culinary Asian Collection Yanagi Knife
- If you want a sushi knife that will get the job done, but at an affordable price, then Mercer sushi knife is the one for you! This knife is made of top-quality materials, it performs amazingly, and it’s durable so you’ll have a great sushi knife for many years to come!