Top 5 Best Slicing Knives 2020:
- Zelite Infinity Slicing Carving Knife German High Carbon Stainless Steel, Granton Edge, Super Comfortable, 12-Inch
- Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia Granton Edge Slicer, 11-Inch
- DALSTRONG Slicing Carving Knife Granton Edge Shogun Series Japanese AUS-10V Super Steel, 12-Inch
- Victorinox Swiss Army – 47645 Cutlery Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife, Granton Blade, 12-Inch
- ZWILLING J.A. Henckels31160-201 CLASSIC Carving Knife, 8-Inch
This might sound weird to you, but you’ve been cutting the meat wrong this whole time.
Well, maybe not all of you.
Did you know that the best way to slice the meat is across the grain and not with it?
Yes, we know it is a bit contrary to what inexperienced cooks might naturally assume, but this way, you will prevent the fibers from pulling apart. The fibers will often pull apart when cutting with the grain, which results in a not so pretty slice of meat.
But you will not be able to cut the perfect slice without the perfect knife. Forget about the old universal knife you used to cut almost everything until now. You need to buy yourself the best slicing knife to be able to cut your slices perfectly and impress your guests with your carving skills.
5 Best Slicing Knives In 2020: Detailed Reviews
That is why we decided to pay all our attention in the search for the best slicing knife and put all our knowledge at your disposal to help you choose the right product.
1. DALSTRONG Slicing Carving Knife Granton Edge Shogun Series Japanese AUS-10V Super Steel, 12-Inch – Impressive In All Aspects
This Dalstrong knife will impress you at first glance. After the first impression, the price might come as a shock, but before you write it off, give it a chance we guarantee you, it will justify the price with ease.
It is lightweight, and it won’t cause any hand fatigue. The blade is 12 inches long and crafted from handmade Japanese ultra-premium vacuum treated AUS 10V steel and 67 layers of Damascus. This guarantees durability and stain-resistance.
It also features a razor-sharp edge with an 8- 12-degree staggering angle on both sides. Keep in mind this model is nitrogen-cooled, which means the durability is enhanced as well as the hardness and rust resistance.
The blade is thin and flexible, which makes it a perfect choice for slicing roasts, turkey, briskets, fish, and other larger cuts of meat. You can also use the knife to cut your desserts, baked goods, vegetables, and fruits.
The knife is precise and comfortable to use, all thanks to its G-10 ergonomic handle. The handle is military-graded, and it is heat, cold, and moisture-proof. Also, it is well balanced and robust since the full metal tang runs through the length and secured with triple rivets.
The great thing is that this knife comes with a convenient sheath that will protect your blade.
In case you encounter any issues, the knife is backed with a money-back guarantee and a lifetime warranty against defects.
- Made from premium-quality steel
- Military-graded ergonomic handle
- Razor-sharp edge
- Thin and flexible
- The blade might quickly dull if you do not maintain it well
2. Zelite Infinity Slicing Carving Knife German High Carbon Stainless Steel, Granton Edge, Super Comfortable, 12-Inch – The Knife That Stays Looking Newer For Longer
This model is ideal for professional chefs. It will allow you to slice with precision any cut of fish, poultry, ham, brisket, or any other large piece of BBQ meat. This Zelite Infinity knife is a part of the Comfort-Pro Series, which is designed for value and performance.
The knife is 12 inches long, and it is made from German high-carbon stainless steel, which helps to prevent the knife from rusting, corroding, and discoloration. The blade is hand finished using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method, which enhances sharpness and edge retention allowing you to cut with high precision every time. The blade is razor-sharp with a 15-18 degree cutting angle.
The tip of the knife is round, which allows you to move quickly between slices, but it will not cut through the skin, which can be annoying. The great thing is that this knife is very versatile, allowing you to cut veggies, fruits, as well as baked pastries and desserts.
This product has an ergonomic rounded black ABS handle for easier handling. The handle features a rare tapered bolster instead of triple rivets, which boosts balance as well as help you to prevent injuring your fingers. The full metal tang runs through the length of the knife to provide needed balance.
To maintain it in the best possible condition, make sure you wash it by hand. You can buy this product without any risk since it is backed with a 15-year warranty and satisfaction guarantee.
- Crafted from high-carbon stainless steel
- Ergonomically rounded handle
- Non-stick blade
- Tapered bolster
- Hand wash only
- Rounded tip can’t pierce through the skin
3. Victorinox Swiss Army – 47645 Cutlery Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife, Granton Blade, 12-Inch – Cut Fast, Easy, And Practical
As the name says, this knife is perfect for slicing a whole turkey, a roast, brisket, or a ham. Since the knife is very sensitive, it will allow you to work with the efficiency of movement and speed.
This Victorinox knife features the Granton blade. This blade is designed with small grooves on either side of the edge, which allow meat juices and air to get in between each slice and prevent food from sticking to the blade. The knife is 12 inches, so you can cut the meat in one stroke and make the slices uniform.
The knife is sharp as a razor and crafted from high carbon steel. The tip is rounded, which is unusual since most carving knives have a sharp point. The rounded shape is ideal for moving between slices of meat, but you won’t be able to pierce the skin of any meat easily, which can do your job hard sometimes.
The Fibrox Pro handle of the knife is made of rugged plastic, and it features a non-slip grip. It is ergonomic, and it will fit perfectly in your hand. The full metal tang runs through the length of this knife, making it well balanced.
The only complaint if you ask us is the plastic handle, which can be broken if the knife falls on the hard ground and the lack of protective sheath since it is neither safe nor good to store the knife without it.
- High carbon steel
- Fibrox Pro ergonomic handle
- Granton blade
- Sharp and well balanced
- Plastic handle
- Lack of protective sheath
4. Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia Granton Edge Slicer, 11-Inch –Go Easy On Your Budget
This Mercer knife is a high-quality product that will make slicing through the roast, turkey, brisket, or ham effortless, and it won’t cause hand fatigue. But the best thing is that the price is budget-friendly.
The knife features an 11 inches long blade, and it is crafted from one-piece Japanese high carbon steel. This means that the metal tang runs through the full length of the knife, making it well balanced. The knife is resistant to corrosion, rust, and stains.
The Granton edge is a bit shorter yet flexible and stable and provides an even and smooth slice. The short edge makes this knife stable and easy to use, even for the ladies. At the end of the blade is a rounded tip which allows quickly moving between the slices of the meat.
The bad thing is that the edge won’t stay sharp for a long time, so it needs to be sharpened regularly and to be maintained well, which means wash it by hand only, always.
The handle is made from Santoprene, and it is ergonomically shaped. The handle is triple-riveted for extra comfort and additional stability. Also, the handle is equipped with both textured finger points for slip-resistance and a protective finger guard. Noteworthy, it is NSF certified so clearly it is safe, and it has a lifetime warranty against defects.
- High carbon steel
- Ergonomic Santoprene handle
- Non-slip handle and finger guard
- NSF certified
- Easy to handle
- The blade goes dull quickly
- Nit dishwasher safe
5. ZWILLING J.A. Henckels31160-201 CLASSIC Carving Knife, 8-Inch – Great For Home Use
This knife is reliable and very efficient. It comes from the brand Zwilling that is well known as one of the finest cutlery brands in the world. If you like the durability and reliability of this brand, this knife will meet all your preferences.
This knife is only 8 inches long, but no need to worry this simplified model will get the job done, of course, assuming that you don’t need it for gourmet-level meals. The knife is made of German stainless steel. This means it is rust and stain-resistant. The satin-finished blade boasts precision cutting.
It will hold its edge relatively well since Zwilling knives are ice treated when sharpened so that they don’t dull too easily. The ice bath also enhances the strength of the steel overall. As we said, it is easy to maintain because it won’t corrode or rust over time, and you can wash it in the dishwasher.
The handle on this knife is ergonomically shaped to allow better control. It will adjust to the contours of your hand so you can get a better grip while cutting and slicing. It also has a bolster to improve the balance and protect your fingers in the process. The full metal tang runs through the length of the knife, and the handle is triple-riveted, so the knife is very well balanced.
The only disadvantage is that if you have larger hands, this knife will be too small for you.
- Dishwasher safe
- Crafted from stainless steel
- Ergonomic handle with bolster
- Full metal tang
- Triple-riveted and well balanced
What Makes The Best Slicing Knife?
Just like with any other knife, you will need to buy the one that features a solid build. Choosing the best slicing knife is no different than choosing any other knife. As long as you look for the model that is made from the best quality material, you can’t make a mistake. But in case you are not so experienced, we made this handy list to help you out.
The handle on the knife must be comfortable in your hand. Also, make sure it runs a full tang that retreats into the handle, mounted with three or more rivets for better balance and durability.
Handle materials will always reflect the type of construction of the product.
- Stamped blades usually have handles made of lightweight thermoplastic polymers that keep the knife lightweight and agile. These polymers provide ergonomic comfort and a non-slip grip.
- Forged blades can have handles that are made of polymers of a greater density to accommodate a full tang. Other common materials for this type of knife are steel, wood, and composites made of epoxy and resins.
Always look for handles that have some texture to prevent slippage, and a deep finger guard to prevent injuries.
See Also: The Best Knife Blocks
2. Edge Design
Excellent edge retention is important for every knife, but it is crucial for a slicing knife. Since the blade is usually very thin and similar to a fillet knife, that means the blade is very flexible. That allows you to cut around the bone as well to finely slice the larger cuts of meat.
- For slicers, things like Granton divots, dimples, fluting, a hollow edge, or a tsuchine – a hammered finish on Japanese blades are important since they create air pockets. Those air pockets help to release food and reduce friction, which allows you to cut uniform slices.
- The cutting edge should range from 14-20 degrees per side. The more acute the angle, the sharper a knife will be.
- A knife that has been made of high carbon stainless steel is the best option for you since it will make the blade more flexible and able to retain a sharper edge over time. But if you plan on doing a lot of carving and slicing, you should go for a knife that is made from lower carbon stainless steel to ensure the strength and durability you will need for such a task.
- The knife hardness is important as well, and it is measured using the Rockwell Hardness Scale.
- The average hardness of a good knife starts at 56. Everything higher than that is considered as a good option. If you aim for the top quality, a super high carbon steel knife will have a hardness of around 66, but knives like those are rare, and they are custom made, and they cost a lot.
- If your knife comes with a good warranty, it will help you to protect your knife in case it breaks or gets damaged. Most high-end quality knives come with a lifetime warranty. If you have any problems with the knife, the manufacturer will either fix the knife or replace it with a new one.
Many knives come with different accessories, so the slicing knives are not an exception.
- For these knives, the case or protective sheath is necessary, since they will not be used every day, but still, most come without it.
- The next accessory is a sharpening stone or steel so you can avoid having a dull knife. If you have a slicing knife having a carving fork paired with it can be very beneficial. Usually, a carving fork comes as a part of the set. They will hold the roast or larger portion of meat in place while you carve or slice the portions.
See Also: The Best Pocket Knife Sharpeners
The Final Cut
This type of knife is a must-have in every food enthusiast’s collection. Imagine slicing a turkey roast on a Thanksgiving dinner without a proper slicing knife. Disaster, right? Well, avoid that and invest your hard-earned money in a good slicing knife that will make the job easier for you.
- This knife has a lot of the valuable features you want in a slicing knife without breaking the bank in the long run. It is robust and durable, rust-resistant, and extremely sharp. On top of all, the edge will retain the sharpness for the long run, and when the time comes for sharpening, the process is a breeze.
Best Budget Option: Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia Granton Edge Slicer, 11-Inch
- This is the ultimate best-seller and one of the cheapest knives available on the market nowadays. It is durable, well balanced, razor-sharp, and easy to maintain. There is nothing not to like about it, that is why we highly recommend you buy this knife no matter your budget range.
- This knife has been specially manufactured with top materials; thus, the price is high. The knife is very versatile, and you can use it for slicing, as well as for the deboning, filleting, and skinning. After all this product is not so expensive to purchase since you will score a versatile knife that can provide four different operations.