Top 5 Best Portable Ice Makers 2020:
- IKICH Portable Ice Maker Machine
- GE Profile Opal Countertop Nugget Ice Maker
- Frigidaire EFIC189-SILVER Compact Ice Maker
- Igloo ICEB26BK Portable Ice Maker
- COSTWAY Portable Ice Maker
Imagine you’re having a party on a hot summer day in your backyard. Suddenly, your fridge goes out of ice, and you have to run to the nearest grocery store only to find out there are not enough ice bags to cater for the day.
Worst of all, you realize this could ruin the whole party and drinks just won’t taste the same. How frustrating, right? But not anymore, because with these incredible appliance helpers you won’t have to worry about that anymore! We guarantee that a portable ice maker will become your best friend in the summer days.
With a portable ice maker, this will become the thing of the past. You won’t have to worry about the amount of ice needed for the party or other occasions, because it produces ice within a short period. It is due to an advanced technology that is used to design these machines.
Be that as it may, choosing the right ice maker for your bar or home can sometimes be challenging. There are so many different brands on the market. However, there are a few key things you should consider before buying one. For example, how much space you can set aside and the quality and quantity of the ice.
Because we know how tough it may be to find a good but affordable ice maker, we created this list of the top 5 best portable ice makers, to help you choose the one that will suit your needs!
5 Best Portable Ice Makers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. IKICH Portable Ice Maker Machine – Best Overall
Undoubtedly, one of the best portable ice makers out there is IKICH Portable Ice Maker Machine. We guarantee, this just may be the best portable ice maker you come across in the market, and you won’t be disappointed!
Compact but refined, this model will certainly match all of your needs. It is small enough so it fits most countertops, with only 7 inches of length and 12 inches of height. This machine was made from high-quality copper and aluminum. It also comes with a see-through window lid opening on the top. IKICH Ice Maker runs on less than 45 dB, but for some, it may be noisy.
This ice maker is pretty fast, as it makes 9 ice cubes every 6 minutes, and you can choose from two sizes. Apart from that, it makes 26 lbs of ice every 24 hours. All you have to do is add the water to the container, press the ON/OFF button, and select the ice cube size.
It has a smart indicator that lights up when the ice bucket is full or when you need to add more water. It is effortless to clean, and with the drain plug at the bottom, it’s easy to get rid of the remaining water. Plus, its ice tray is removable, and you will even get an ice shovel in the package.
- Smart indicator
- Two ice cube sizes
- Easy to use and clean
- Some customers complain the ice cubes are too small
- It’s noisy
2. GE Profile Opal Countertop Nugget Ice Maker – Our Premium Pick
If you are looking for a luxurious high-end ice maker, the GE Profile Opal Countertop Nugget Ice Maker is the one you need. We can’t even begin to tell you why this elegant ice maker deserves our second place on this list!
First of all, it is large, but at the same time, it fits any kitchen counter! It is 17 inches high, 14 inches wide, and 15,5 inches deep. Also, it weighs 47 pounds, which makes it a little heavy in terms of portability. This ice maker produces 24 lbs every 24 hours and can hold up to 3lbs at a time. In less than 15-20 minutes, you’ll have the full tray of ice. Small nugget ice cubes are perfect for chewing and retain flavors. Besides, it’s easy to use, you just have to plug it in and fill the reservoir with water, and there you go!
With the simple and elegant design, this ice maker comes in silver color. Its base is made from stainless steel, and the ice bin and side tank are made from plastic. The blue LED lighting, and the shining surface makes this machine pop.
Another special thing about this ice maker is that it is Bluetooth equipped so you can set up your ice making schedule from your phone using Opal’s app. It also won’t overfill because it senses when the tray is full of ice.
What makes this ice maker unique is that water from melted ice cubes returns to its reservoir and produces new ice cubes. Saves energy and water!
- Simple yet elegant design
- Smart Bluetooth technology
- It’s heavy
- It’s expensive
3. Frigidaire EFIC189-SILVER Compact Ice Maker – Best Budget-Friendly Choice
Finding the ice maker that is both affordable and proper working can be a challenge. Frigidaire EFIC189 Ice Maker is one of the best out there, and it’s quite cheap if you consider it’s surprisingly excellent quality.
This stylish ice maker is very compact and easy to transport. It is 13 inches high, 9 inches wide, and 13 inches deep, which makes it perfect for small spaces. This ice maker is made from stainless steel, which gives it that high-end, luxurious look.
The great thing is that with this ice maker, you can choose between the two sizes of ice cubes. It will make 26 lbs of ice in 24 hours, with the power of 200 W. Moreover, the ice bucket can take up to 1,2 kilograms of ice! For example, small ones are usually for cocktails and coffee and the large once for beer and cola. What’s more, it produces 9 cubes of ice every 6-15 minutes. It’s not noisy because it runs at less than 38 decibels.
With a quiet compressor cooling system and no freon or other harsh chemicals, this product does not pollute the environment. Handy drain plug ensures quick and safe cleaning.
Lastly, remove the ice cubes immediately from the bucket because they can begin to melt quickly.
- Not noisy
- Compact, doesn’t take to much space
- It’s affordable
- Ice cubes may start to melt inside of the ice maker
- Might take a long time to make a full batch of ice
4. Igloo ICEB26BK Portable Ice Maker – Best Design
For some people, aesthetics are also an important factor. This retro Inspired Igloo Portable Ice Maker is an excellent choice! Plus, it will look good on your countertop, and who doesn’t want that?
This stylish portable ice maker is also very compact and easy to use. Besides, it has a large see-through lid, a removable plastic ice bucket, and a plastic ice shovel. The only thing that could make this model even better is a different material choice because this ice maker is made of plastic. Due to the lack of insulation, ice cubes might melt fast, so it is best to transfer them in the freezer for a bit.
The power of this machine also won’t let down because it produces 26 lbs of ice every 24 hours. That’s enough to keep your party kicking! In this machine, ice freezes quickly. That is, every 7 minutes, it makes 9 cylinder ice cubes, and you can choose their size.
Even ice cubes are stylish! The indicator lets you know when the ice bucket is full and ready to empty. So, you only have to pour some water, choose the ice cube size, and go do your thing as it will let you know when it is finished.
- Stylish retro design
- Fast ice production
- Indicates when the bucket is full
- Removable ice bucket
- Poor insulation
- Wet ice cubes
- Some users complain it’s noisy
5. COSTWAY Portable Ice Maker – Good value for money
When on the fence about buying some new kitchen appliances like an ice maker, it’s important not to miss out. Because there are a lot of stylish, practical, yet affordable models that are waiting for you. One of the rare ice makers that fit into this category is Costway Portable, Ice Maker.
It comes in three different colors – turquoise, silver, and red. It is perfect for a kitchen countertop with a size of 14 inches in length, 10 inches in width, and 13 inches in height. You can even carry it with you and enjoy a cold refreshing drink anytime, anywhere. It produces 27 pounds of ice per 24 hours, so it will keep you covered. In addition, it provides 9 ice cubes every 6-13 minutes. What’s more, the ice cubes turn out perfectly smooth and round, plus you can choose between the two sizes!
This ice maker is very easy to use, and like many other ice makers in this category, it also has a smart indicator for water and ice level. It’s made from plastic, and the surface is smooth, which makes it perfect for cleaning. However, plastic can be bad for insulation and can cause your ice cubes to be wet. Because of the drain plug on the bottom, it’s easy to get rid of the remaining water.
- Perfect ice cubes
- Easy to use
- It’s not loud
- Because of the plastic materials used it’s poorly insulated, thus melted ice
- A small amount of ice produced over a long period
Things To Consider Before You Buy A Portable Ice Maker
- This just might be the most important factor when in search of a good portable ice maker. Portable ice makers vary in price from 100$ to 600$, or even higher. But if you want to get a high-capacity and more efficient portable ice maker, we recommend you set aside around 300$. Because cheaper models of ice makers probably won’t last for long, and it is definitely worth having one. So, you should consider spending a little bit more money on this machine. In most cases, you will get the one that was designed to last for a long time. The price of ice makers also depends on durability and production capacity.
2. Ice Production
- It is essential how much ice your ice maker will produce in 24 hours, how much in a few minutes, and how long will it take because who wants to spend their money on a machine that will produce a small amount of ice over a long time. Needless to say, we recommend buying the one that makes at least 20 pounds of ice per day.
- As mentioned above, no one likes to wait for their ice cubes for too long. And the machine that produces ice for 10 minutes is probably too slow. We recommend going for the ones that take up to 6 minutes to make ice.
Type Of Ice Cubes
- In case you didn’t know there are so many different types of ice out there. And each type is good for something else. For example, nugget (bullet) ice is used for beverages and flake ice for seafood.
See Also: The Best Shaved Ice Machines
- It is also important to know whether your new ice maker would fit your kitchen counter and how much space it will take. Just to make sure, you can take some measurements before you decide which one to buy. This could easily be a problem, as every ice maker needs enough space for air circulation so it doesn’t overheat. Having said that, always check your installation guide before buying a certain type of ice maker model.
- One may think that it isn’t important whether it’s easy to clean your ice maker or not. But, it is crucial, because if you can’t clean it properly you will be stuck with dirty ice cubes! So if it is not so easy to clean, consider looking for other models.
- Also, it’s vital how simple it is for usage. Most of the ice makers have ON/OFF button, Ice cubes size modes, and some even have timers and indicators for water and ice levels. Your ice maker should also be easy to install.
- You’ve probably already noticed that ice makers come in different shapes and colors. Perhaps you are looking for the one that looks elegant and fits your kitchen counter. We recommend you look for some stainless steel ice makers rather than plastic ones. Because it could be an essential factor for the quality of your ice cubes, the aesthetic appeal is subjective, so we’ll leave this to you.
6. Additional Features
Intelligent Water Use
- Ice cubes that are not used will melt at some point and when that happens the water will be reused for the new ice cubes. The water in the units that don’t have this feature could damage the product. Most of the models have this, but definitely check it because it is very economic.
Ice Size Selection
- This could be important for the type of beverage you choose. Some of the ice maker models have 2-3 size options based on your likings.
- Quite a few of the portable ice makers come with ice shovels. Plastic or not, this could be important in terms of clean, sanitary ice.
Read More: The Best Snow Cone Machines
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
All things considered, the best ice maker really depends on your needs and budget. All of the ice makers from this list are amazing and you won’t be disappointed whichever you choose. Without further ado, let’s review our top recommendations!
Best Overall: IKICH Portable Ice Maker Machine
- Far away and the best is definitely IKICH Portable Ice Maker Machine. This ice maker is made of high-quality materials and can produce 26 lbs of ice in 24 hours and 9 ice cubes every 6 minutes. This is a fast and reliable product with a smart indicator and even an option for two different ice sizes!
Our Premium Pick: GE Profile Opal Countertop Nugget Ice Maker
- The only downside of this ice maker is its price. But if you are not on a limited budget, it’s best to invest your money in the ice maker like this one. It is swift, has a smart Bluetooth technology, and reuses melted ice cubes. A beautiful yet simple appearance makes this model a must-have in your kitchen!
Budget-Friendly Choice: Frigidaire EFIC189-SILVER Compact Ice Maker
- If you want an ice maker that will get a job done and is also affordable, Frigidaire EFIC189 Ice Maker is the one you are looking for. This compact yet luxurious-looking ice maker also has an option for choosing ice cube sizes. It’s easy to use and clean, it’s fast enough, plus you’ll even get an ice shovel for that price!