Top 5 Best Meal Prep Bags 2020:
- ThinkFit Insulated Meal Prep Lunch Box
- Isolator Fitness ISOBAG Meal Prep Bag
- Fit & Fresh Original Jaxx FitPak Meal Prep Bag
- MIER Adult Lunch Box
- Fitpacker Small Meal Management Bag
These are the problems most people in the modern age have. It’s no wonder why people don’t have time to eat healthily.
Luckily, innovation never stops. In the recent few years, a new type of product has appeared on the market, a meal prep bag.
We’ll go further in-depth on what meal prep bags are. For now, all you have to know is that these products allow you to take your favorite food wherever the road takes you.
These bags are designed for maximum storage, versatility, and convenience. Most food prep bags feature an insulating layer that’ll keep your food warm (or cold) for a long time. Almost all of these bags come with food containers, so you don’t have to worry about having to spend extra cash on food containers that’ll fit a particular meal prep bag.
Finding the best meal prep bag can be quite tricky, especially if you’re not familiar with this type of product. And even if you know a thing or two about meal prep bags, the market is full of models that seem good on the surface but are almost useless in practice.
Don’t worry! We’ve done the research for you!
In this article, we’ve reviewed the five best meal prep bags you can find on the current market, and we’ve prepared a short guide on how to pick an ideal model for you.
5 Best Meal Prep Bags In 2020: Detailed Reviews
Before we teach you how to pick the model for you, we recommend you first check our top five picks for meal prep bags. We included a wide range of models at all price points to ensure there’s something for everyone’s budget.
1. ThinkFit Insulated Meal Prep Lunch Box – Editor’s Choice
The first place in our list goes to ThinkFit Insulated Meal Prep Lunch Box. We fell in love with this product because it offers quite a lot of storage space and because it’s incredibly versatile. Not just that, but this bag is also suitable for both kids and adults.
ThinkFit meal prep bag comes with six BPA free plastic containers. These containers are dishwasher safe, so you’ll spend minimal time cleaning them. What’s more, they’re perfectly sized for portions. So, if you’re super-aware of every calorie you eat, these containers will help you plan out your meals.
Besides the containers, you also get one 20-ounce shaper cup with three storage containers that attach to the bottom of the cup. This cup will be your best friend if you’re hitting the gym every day because it comes with a special compartment for supplements and protein powder.
The bag itself is made out of durable nylon fabric and features two insulating layers. No matter where you take the ThinkFit bag, be it the gym or your office, you can rest assured it’ll keep your food warm. And thanks to the premium quality build, this meal prep bag will serve you for quite a long time before it starts breaking down at the seams.
- Comes with 6 meal containers
- Comes with a 20-ounce shaker cup
- Double insulation layer
- Absolutely none
2. Isolator Fitness ISOBAG Meal Prep Bag – Best High-End
The second place in our list goes to a high-end meal prep bag you’ll fall in love with if you like prepping your food a week in advance. The Isolator Fitness ISOBAG Meal Prep Bag comes with 8 BPA free plastic meal containers and is built to withstand years of wear and tear.
The coolest thing about this meal prep bag is its incredible insulating properties. It comes with two
“isobricks” that’ll keep your food cold for up to 12 hours. This is more than enough time to get from home to work or to the gym.
As you’ve already read, this meal prep bag comes with 8 plastic containers. These containers come in four different sizes: 12-=ooz, 16oz, 28oz, and 36oz. If you’re on a portion based diet, this meal prep bag will be your lifesaver because you won’t be able to miscalculate your portion.
The bag itself is made out of high-quality nylon fabric that can withstand quite a lot of punishment. The bag is insulated from all sides to ensure your meal remains cold until you reach your destination.
Besides the main compartment, this meal prep bag also features two side pockets for drinks and three mesh pockets for other knick-knacks you might want to bring with you.
The only issue we have with this bag is that it’s a bit big, but that’s understandable when you consider how much storage your get.
- Comes with 8 food containers
- Keeps your food cold for up to 12 hours
- Plethora of pockets
- Can be a bit big for some
3. Fit & Fresh Original Jaxx FitPak Meal Prep Bag – Most Affordable
We understand that not everyone has 50 or more bucks in their budget to spend on a meal prep bag. This is why the third place in our list goes to one of the best affordable meal prep bags out there, the Fit & Fresh Original Jaxx FitPak.
Even though it’s affordable, this meal prep bag comes with quite a few containers. Out of the box, you get six food containers, a shaker bottle, and a vitamin box.
The containers come in two different sizes, two-cup and one-cup. They’re a godsend if you like counting your calories because they’re perfect for meal portions
The shaker bottle is ideal for everyday use. No matter what drink you pour in it, you can rest assured it won’t spill out. And just like the containers, it’s completely dishwasher safe.
The vitamin box features five compartments, which is excellent if you’re on the road for most of the week.
Along with all of the above, you also get an ice pack that’ll ensure your food remains perfectly chilled. This ice pack is completely sealed, so you don’t have to worry about it accidentally spilling all over your food.
The bag itself is built out of nylon fabric and is available in quite a few color schemes. It doesn’t feature a shoulder strap, it only has a handle. Thankfully, you don’t need a shoulder strap because this meal prep bag is quite compact.
- Comes with a wide range of containers
- Easy to maintain and clean
- Containers are hard to open at first
4. MIER Adult Lunch Box – Best For Picnics
So far, we’ve talked about meal prep bags that come with their own containers. And while that’s convenient, not everyone likes packing food into small portions. This is why the fourth place in our list goes to a meal prep bag that allows you to pack your food the way you like it.
As you might’ve guessed, this meal prep bag doesn’t come with any food containers. While this might be bad news for some, it’s also excellent news for those who like packing food under their own terms.
The coolest thing about this bag is that it comes with two large compartments. This allows you to keep your warm food away from cold food or beverages. This is why this bag is excellent for picnics since you’ll be able to carry warm sandwiches in one compartment and cold beer/soda in the other. See Also: The Best Beer Fridges
MIER Adult Lunch box is built out of nylon fabric, which means it’s incredibly durable and lightweight. The entire bag is insulated with a layer of PEVA insulating material. This material is completely safe and won’t affect your food. It’ll also ensure no liquids soak through the fabric.
- Comes with two large compartments
- Easy to maintain
- Doesn’t come with food containers
5. Fitpacker Small Meal Management Bag – Best For Work
Are you tired of eating fast food or junk food on your lunch breaks? If the answer was yes, then you might be interested in our last pick, the Fitpacker Small Meal Management Bag. This meal prep bag will help you prepare food for your every lunch break and keep it nice and cool until you unload it in your company fridge.
In addition to the bag, you also get four large food containers. Unlike the other bags we reviewed, the containers that come with the Fitpakcer are large enough to fit a large portion of food. While this might not be suitable for those who count their every calorie, it’s great news for those who can eat whatever they want and not gain a pound.
The bag itself is built out of 600D nylon fabric and features nylon insulation on the inside. It also comes with a shoulder strap that’s of questionable quality. While we’re sure it can handle lighter loads, it feels too flimsy to withstand anything heavy. Thankfully there is a decent handle that’s also cushioned for comfort.
Fitpacker also features an adjustable bottle pocket. Unfortunately, the pocket is not insulated, so we recommend you get a thermos along with the bag to ensure your favorite beverage remains hot/cold.
- Comes with 4 large food containers
- Adjustable bottle pocket
- Easy to maintain
- Weak shoulder strap
What Is A Meal Prep Bag And Why Do You Need One?
Sick and tired of wasting money on fast food places when you’re at work?
A meal prep bag is just what you’ll need.
With a meal prep bag, you’ll finally be able to switch to a healthier lifestyle. No more fast food, expensive restaurants, and running to the nearest food place on your break. Prepare your meals at home and save some money.
Most meal prep bags are well insulated. This means that your food will stay good for a long time. You don’t have to worry that your food will spoil if you leave it in the bag during the day.
Meal prep bags aren’t good just for taking food to work. They’re also fantastic for family trips. If you have a large family, you already know the hassle before a weekend trip.
Pack clothes and towels for the whole family, toys for the kids, hygiene, and food for everyone. And, the next thing you know, you have a car trunk full of bags.
When you think about it, just the meals for the weekend will take up at least two bags. One with snacks to eat in the car, and the other to eat once you arrive at your destination.
With a meal prep bag, you’ll solve all these problems. You can store all the meals you’ll need for the trip in just one bag.
Meal prep bags are convenient, they have a lot of compartments and even pockets for a thermos. Every family trip will be much more comfortable with a meal prep bag.
Factors To Consider Before Buying A Meal Prep Bag
Before you buy a meal prep bag, here are the most important factors to consider.
- The size of the meal prep bag is the first and most crucial factor to consider.
- Most meal prep bags you can find on the market provide storage for at least three meals and one bottle. If this isn’t enough storage for you, don’t worry. There are meal prep bags that can fit up to six larger meals.
- Choose the size of the meal prep bag based on how many meals you usually store. We recommend a larger one if you plan to use it for family trips or food preparation for every day at work.
2. Style And Design
- Since you’ll be carrying your meal prep bag to work or on vacations, the style and design play an important role. Choose a meal prep bag that has a neutral color, so it can fit with all of your work outfits. A darker color is recommended because they get less dusty, and stains aren’t that visible.
- Look for a meal prep bag that has containers already included with the bag. The material of the bag should be high-quality since it’ll have to endure daily wear and tear. Some manufacturers offer a life-long warranty, so you don’t have to worry about tearing it up accidentally.
- Don’t forget to think about comfort. Whether you’re going to take the bag to work or a hiking trip, the carrying comfort is crucial. Get yourself a meal prep bag with detachable and padded shoulder straps. It’ll make the carrying much more comfortable.
- Insulation is also an essential factor to consider. Because of the insulation material, your food can stay cool and fresh for a more extended period. Most meal prep bags can keep the food cold for about 8 to 16 hours.
- Search for a bag made from high-quality material, with zippers that are also high-quality. The better the material, the longer your food will stay fresh.
- We recommend a meal prep bag with an exterior, or interior, with PEVA lining. This means that the insulation is good and that your food will stay fresh longer.
4. Features And Price
- Usually, the better the bag, the higher the price. But that isn’t always the case. You can buy a pricey meal prep bag and end up with one that doesn’t suit your needs.
- If you need a meal prep bag just for work, a smaller bag will do the job better than a big one. But if you’re looking for a bag that you can carry on vacations and family trips, a large bag is the ideal choice.
- Not all bags have the same number of compartments. Based on your needs, choose a meal prep bag with the optimum number of compartments. A meal prep bag with fewer compartments isn’t a good choice, and the same goes for more compartments.
- The best would be to go for a meal prep bag that has at least three separate compartments, and at least two pockets for bottles.
Our Final Word
Before we let you go, let’s compile the results.
The reason why we chose the ThinkFit Insulated Meal Prep Lunch Box for the best meal prep bag on the market is because it comes with all the features you’ll ever need in a meal prep bag. Not only does this bag come with six meal containers, but you also get a cool shaker bottle and a vitamin box.
For those who are looking for a high-end meal prep bag, we recommend you check out the Isolator Fitness ISOBAG Meal Prep Bag. Just like with the ThinkFit bag, you get lots of containers, but this bag is a bit more durable and comfortable to carry around.
Lastly, if you’re on a short budget, we recommend you check the most affordable meal prep bag out there, the Fit & Fresh Original Jaxx FitPak Meal Prep Bag. Even though it’s incredibly affordable, this bag is durable and comes with six meal containers and a shaker bottle.