Top 5 Best Kitchen Shears 2020:
- Gerior Heavy Duty Utility Kitchen Shears
- Kitchen Shears by Gidli
- MAIRICO Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears
- Acelone Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears
- Spring Chef Kitchen Shears
The swiss army knife for the kitchen – this is what some people call kitchen shears and it’s one of the best and most suitable descriptions!
Kitchen shears are one of the most multipurpose tools you can have in your kitchen. You can use them for cutting poultry, fish, vegetables, fruits, cardboard boxes and so much more! Not only are they versatile, but they’re also very affordable, so you can find good shears at a great price!
If you’re wondering how to pick kitchen shears and what shears are the best right now, read our article about the best kitchen shears where we give pros and cons for each and tell you how to choose only the best! So, sit back and relax, and let’s dive in!
Related: The Best Poultry Shears
5 Best Kitchen Shears In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Gerior Heavy Duty Utility Kitchen Shears – Best Choice
Gerior is one of the top brands when it comes to kitchen tools. Their products are known to be very high-quality, highly functional, and durable. These kitchen shears are one of the best on the market right now, and it’s highly unlikely you’ll find better at this price point!
The blades are made of stainless steel and they are micro-serrated for better gripping of slippery materials. Because they are made of stainless steel, they’re very resistant to rust and corrosion and this makes them very durable. The blades are also very thick, and at 3mm they’re thicker than most other kitchen shears.
One very unique thing about these shears is that they have an adjustable pivot screw. You can use it for tightening or loosening the tension, and this is something most kitchen shears don’t have. It’s a useful feature because, without it, the blade may be too loose or too tight.
Another great thing is how versatile the Gerior shears are. They come apart easily, and this is great not only for easier cleaning but also because the blade is designed so that it can be used as a vegetable and fruit peeler when taken apart! The handles have a non-slip feature and they’re strong enough so you can use them even to crack walnuts and other healthy nuts! Furthermore, they have a built-in bottle opener at the bottom!
- Ideal for heavy use
- Micro-serrated thick blades
- Peeler and bottle opener included
- The blades come apart
- Non-slip handle
- The pivot screw is sometimes a bit difficult to adjust
2. Kitchen Shears by Gidli – Premium Pick
Kitchen shears by Gidli are definitely among the best shears available. Once you try using these shears, you’ll never want to replace them. They are ultra-sharp, heavy-duty, multipurpose kitchen shears that perform very well and look very nice at the same time!
Because they have a thick, hard blade made of heavy-duty stainless steel, they are strong enough to withstand heavy use and you can use them for so much more besides food. Of course, they work great with poultry, fish, raw meat, vegetables, fruits, and herbs, but they can be very useful around the household too, and in the garden! You can also use these shears as a crab cracker, a bottle opener, you can crack nuts with them, and scrape scales from fish!
The handles are very ergonomically shaped so they feel very comfortable in your hand, whether you’re left-handed or right-handed. The good thing about the handles is that they’re dishwasher safe, so even though you can’t take the shears apart, you can simply put them in a dishwasher and not worry about it!
When you buy Gidli kitchen shears, you also get seafood scissors for free. They will help you to remove the shells of shrimps and prawns fast and make delicious seafood meals at home. They too are dishwasher safe so cleaning them is a breeze!
- Heavy-duty stainless steel blades
- Very versatile shears
- Ergonomic handle
- You get seafood scissors for free
- Dishwasher safe
- The shears don’t come apart for easier cleaning
3. MAIRICO Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears – Most Affordable Option
Another great kitchen shears that definitely deserve to be on this list are these by Mairico. These shears are a great choice because they perform very well, and they’re very affordable!
The stainless steel blades are ultra-sharp, very precise, and they require minimal effort to achieve the best cutting results. They are ideal for all major kitchen tasks, like butterflying poultry, cutting meat, bones, vegetables, fruits, and herbs. You can also use them for cutting paper, cardboard boxes, or in the garden for thick flower stems. All this makes them very versatile, which is amazing considering their price!
The black and white handle is big enough to give you a firm grip and full control while cutting. The handle is also non-slip, so the shears are very safe to use. There is a built-in bottle opener in the handle that makes the shears even more versatile. You can also use that part to crack nuts!
Unfortunately, it’s difficult to take these shears apart. Technically, you can do it, but it requires some time and effort. This makes cleaning a bit more complicated, but they are dishwasher safe. However, the manufacturer recommends washing them by hand, with water and soap, just to avoid any possible damages that a dishwasher could cause to the handle.
All in all, Mairico shears are a great choice if you’re looking for good, affordable kitchen shears!
- Very affordable price
- Sharp stainless steel blade
- Non-slip handle
- Built-in bottle opener
- Dishwasher safe
- It’s difficult to take them apart
4. Acelone Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears – Unique Design
If you prefer your kitchen tools to be stylish and colorful, you’ll love these kitchen shears by Acelone. They come in three color options, including black and orange, black and red, and the bright green and grey.
Whatever color you opt for, you’re guaranteed top quality and high performance. The design of the shears is quite standard and it resembles a lot of kitchen shears on the market, but these are made of premium materials, with heavy-duty use and extreme precision in mind. The blades are made of 3CR14 stainless steel, a sturdy and durable material resistant to rust and wear.
The blades are ultra-sharp and micro-serrated for enhanced performance. An advantage of micro-serrated edges is that they don’t require sharpening, unlike the fine blades that have to be sharpened from time to time. The blade is made for heavy use, so these shears are perfect for cutting meat, bones, vegetables, fruits, but you can also use them to scratch scales, cut noodles and even to cut pizza.
The handle is designed so that it provides a tight grip and to feel comfortable and convenient to use. It has a built-in bottle opener, that you can use for nuts as well. These shears come with a protective cover which is a great safety feature. When it comes to cleaning, always make sure to wash them by hand because the handle is too sensitive for a dishwasher!
- Colorful design
- Thick micro-serrated blade
- Affordable price
- Protective blade cover included
- The handle is too fragile for the dishwasher
5. Spring Chef Kitchen Shears – The Most Lightweight Shears
The great thing about these kitchen shears by Spring Chef is that they are not as bulky as most kitchen shears. They are very lightweight but still can withstand heavy use. So, if you want kitchen shears that can get the job done, but feel very lightweight and easy to maneuver, these are the ones for you!
The Spring Chef kitchen shears work quickly and efficiently thanks to the sharp blades made of heavy-duty stainless steel. It’s a strong material that lasts long and resists rust, corrosion and wear. The blades are also micro-serrated, and micro-serrated blades can stay sharp a lot longer than those that aren’t.
These kitchen shears are very convenient and multipurpose, so you can use them in the kitchen with food, around the house with papers and boxes, and also in the garden with flowers! They include a bottle opener that comes in handy a lot of times. The handle is strong enough to be used even for cracking nuts!
Not only is the handle strong, but it’s also very durable, and it’s made of a non-slip material which makes using these shears a lot safer. Whether your hand or the shears get wet, the risk of getting hurt is minimal. The handle is designed to be ambidextrous, so they feel natural in both hands. Safety is further improved with the protective cover for the blades that you get when you buy these shears!
- Sharp, micro-serrated blades
- Durable, non-slip handle
- Protective cover included
- It’s a bit difficult to clean them
Things To Consider Before You Buy Kitchen Shears
Kitchen shears are one of the most versatile tools you can have in your kitchen. They are also durable and built for heavy use, so it’s important to check a few things before you decide which ones to get. For example, pay attention to the material and whether it’s strong enough, how safe the shears are, and so on. Let’s look at crucial features of kitchen shears!
1. Blade Material And Design
- The number one material used to make kitchen shears is stainless steel. Whether it’s high carbon steel or some other type, stainless steel is unbeatable when it comes to durability, strength, and sharpness.
- Not to mention that it’s resistant to all types of harmful factors, like rust, corrosion, stain, and wear. Stainless steel blades are guaranteed to retain the shape and strength for a long time. Now, when it comes to sharpness, you have to consider whether the blades are micro-serrated or not.
- Micro-serrated blades stay sharp a lot longer than fine blades. This means that they don’t really require sharpening, whereas blades that are not micro-serrated have to be sharpened from time to time. If you choose the ones that aren’t micro-serrated, make sure to inform yourself on how to sharpen your scissors.
- Strong and sharp blades are an important part of kitchen shears, but the handle is just as important. No matter how good the blades are, if the handle is shaped badly, it’s very difficult and at all convenient to use the shears.
- The shape of the handle plays a big role. It has to be an ergonomic shape that feels very natural and comfortable in your hand. If you are left-handed, make sure to check whether the shears you want are designed to be used with both left and right hands.
- Besides the nice shape, the handle should also have some safety features, like a non-slip feature. This is important because it reduces the risk of getting hurt, especially if you’re working with a slippery or a stubborn material!
3. How Versatile It Is
- As we already mentioned, kitchen shears are very versatile. There are a lot of occasions where kitchen shears will be more than useful, not only in the kitchen, but also in your household, in the garden, and so on.
- Some kitchen shears also have a built-in bottle opener, nut cracker, a peeler, or all of it. If you need some of those handy features, make sure to check whether the shears you want have them!
4. Cleaning And Maintenance
- Kitchen shears are usually not dishwasher safe. The best way to clean them is to wash them by hand, with warm water and soap, and dry them immediately with a soft cloth. Never leave your kitchen shears to soak in water for a long time because they might get damaged. Some kitchen shears come apart for easier and safer cleaning, and this is an incredibly useful feature!
- There are some kitchen shears that can be put in a dishwasher, but most of the time, the manufacturers recommend washing them by hand at all times!
See Also: The Best Utility Knives
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
If you don’t have good kitchen shears, what are you waiting for? We’ve reviewed our top five choices, and now it’s time to choose yours! But first, let us tell you about our favorite ones, the best of the best!
Best Overall: Gerior Heavy Duty Utility Kitchen Shears
- Kitchen shears by Gerior definitely deserve the title of the best kitchen shears on the market! They are one of the most versatile, high-quality shears that perform amazingly! It was very difficult to find a flaw on these incredible shears, and believe us, we’ve tried!
Best Premium Quality Shears: Kitchen Shears by Gidli
- Gidli made these kitchen shears with top quality and performance in mind, and that’s exactly what they are. The premium materials, high performance, and versatility put these shears at the top. And the great thing is, even though the price is a bit higher than others, it’s not too over the top!
Best Affordable Kitchen Shears: MAIRICO Heavy Duty Kitchen Shears
- Did you know you can find amazing kitchen shears under ten bucks? Well, it’s true! These shears by Mairico are ultra-sharp, heavy-duty, multipurpose shears that guarantee top notch performance every time without exceptions! On top of that, they’re very affordable!