Top 5 Best Infrared Grills 2020:
- Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill
- Saber Grills R50SC1417 Elite 3-Burner Grill
- Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
- Northfire Inferno
- Solaire SOL-EV17A
So, you’ve finally decided to relax and take in the smells and the warmth the spring brings.
And what’s the best way to enjoy a sunny spring day? With a barbecue, of course!
And for a good barbecue, you need a good grill.
You can go for a traditional charcoal grill, but it spews smoke and sets the dripping fat and oil ablaze.
Gas grills are another choice, but they’re just as susceptible to flare-ups as charcoal grills.
Thankfully, there is another type of grill out there, an infrared grill. These grills use the power of far infrared waves to cook your favorite meat and veggies to perfection.
With an infrared grill by your side, you’ll be able to cook just about any type of food in no time. This is because these grills can reach higher temperatures than their charcoal and gas cousins.
Unfortunately, the market is flooded with all kinds of infrared grills, which makes choosing the perfect one a chore.
Thankfully, you have us! In this article, we’ll review five best infrared grills you can find on the current market, and we’ll give you a couple of pointers on how to choose the best model for your needs.
See Also: The Best Grill Covers
5 Best Infrared Grills In 2020: Detailed Reviews
Before we get into the detail of what infrared grills are and what you should consider when buying one, we recommend you check out this top list of the five best infrared grills on the market.
We included models from all price ranges to ensure there is something for everyone’s budget. Still, if you end up disagreeing with our choices, you can always check out our guide and learn what factors you should consider when buying an infrared grill.
1. Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill – Editor’s Choice
The first place in our list goes to an infrared grill that goes beyond just grilling meat and veggies. Char-Broil grill also allows you to smoke and roast your food. Let’s go more in-depth!
This infrared grill is so versatile because it features TRU-infrared technology. This technology ensures there are no flare-ups, no matter how fatty the meat is. Thanks to this technology, you can cook pig necks to your heart’s content without having to keep watch on flare-ups.
Another advantage of the Big Easy infrared gill is that you don’t need any oil or charcoal to roast your food. The meat will still come out juicy, tender, and evenly cooked. This infrared gill’s excellent heat distribution system ensures every piece of meat gets the same amount of heat.
The Big Easy infrared grill is built out of stainless steel, so don’t worry about it breaking down any time soon. What’s more, you also get 180 square inches of cooking area and an internal smoker. This smoker can work with, or without, pellets or logs, but we recommend you use either one of those.
And as a cherry on top, this infrared grill comes with an excellent temperature control system that allows you to set the temperature anywhere between 9000 and 18000 BTUs.
- Extremely versatile
- Excellent temperature control
- Competitively Priced
- None whatsoever
2. Saber Grills R50SC1417 Elite 3-Burner Grill – Best High-End Infrared Grill
Looking to switch out your old gas grill with something more capable, and you spare no expense? If the answer was yes, then boy, oh boy, do we have an infrared gill for you. The Saber Grills R50SC1417 infrared grill comes with an excellent heating system and more than enough cooking space to feed a smaller army.
This grill offers a whopping 500 square inches of cooking space. With this infrared grill in your backyard, you won’t have any trouble hosting bbq parties for two dozen people. The best thing about it is that it’s super quick to heat up thanks to infrared heating technology.
The Sabre features three burners that can churn up to 24000 BTUs. Power is nothing without control, which is why this grill features easy to use temperature control. There are three dials on the front that allow you to control the temperature of the burners. What’s more, above each dial, there is a temperature gauge to ensure you have full control over the cooking process.
The entire grill is made out of high-grade stainless steel, and the interior features LED lighting to help you grill even when it’s dark outside.
- 500 square inches of cooking space
- Superb temperature control
- Stainless steel body and interior
- Easy to use and maintain
- Quite pricey
3. Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 – Best Affordable Infrared Grill
If you’re on a tight budget or are just looking for a grill you can take with you on a camping trip, then you might be interested in our third pick. The Char-Broil Grill2Go X200 utilizes the same TRU-infrared technology as our top pick. However, this infrared grill comes in a more compact and portable form-factor.
The best thing about TRU-infrared technology is that it ensures the juices stay in the meat, providing a rich taste and superb texture. Of course, another benefit of this technology is that there are no flare-ups. And that’s not all, this grill will work admirably in both hot and cold weather because it doesn’t rely on hot air, but on infrared rays.
Even though the Grill2Go is quite lightweight and compact, it still offers 200 square inches of cooking space that’s heated by 9500 BTU burner. With this much cooking space, you’ll have no issues quickly cooking delicious meals for you and more than a couple of friends.
The main body of the Grill2Go is built out of die-cast aluminum. It features dual stainless steel handles, so carrying it around is easy as pie.
The only thing we disliked about this infrared grill is the temperature control or the lack of it. To control the heat, you’ll have to adjust the vent on the propane tank, which is a bit unintuitive.
- Compact and lightweight
- 200 square inch cooking area
- Unintuitive temperature control
4. Northfire Inferno – Best Mid-Range Infrared Grill
Northfire Inferno infrared-grill is one of the most innovative products we’ve seen so far. Unlike traditional grills, this grill works more like an oven or a broiler because it features stacked grates. But don’t let that confuse you, this is still a capable grill. See Also: The Best Broiler Pans
The coolest thing about this grill is how fast it heats up. In less than one minute, this infrared grill can reach temperatures of up to 1500 degrees Fahrenheit! You’ll be able to cook an utterly delicious 1.5-inch ribeye in less than five minutes!
This grill is a godsend if you’re an avid stake lover because it’s able to cook a one-inch medium rare stake in two minutes.
The Northfire Inferno is built out of stainless steel, so don’t worry about durability. This grill can withstand quite a lot of punishment before breaking down. It also comes with four stainless steel racks, allowing you to cook four different meals at the same time.
The only issue we have with this grill is that it comes with a couple of loose screws. This is why we recommend you check it out when you get it and tighten any loose screws.
- Can heat up to 15000 degrees Fahrenheit
- Stainless steel construction
- Decent cooking area
- Perfect for stakes
- Comes with a couple of loose screws
5. Solaire SOL-EV17A – Best Indoor Infrared Grill
The best thing about infrared grills is that they don’t produce a lot of smoke and flare-ups. This makes them perfect for indoor use. This is why the last place in our list goes to Solaire SOL-EV17A infrared grill. Even though it’s not the largest grill out there, it will fit on your kitchen counter and allow you to cook delicious breakfast burgers.
As we mentioned, this is not the biggest infrared grill in the world, offering only 140 square inches of cooking area. However, this is perfect for a kitchen setting since it won’t take up much space, and you’ll be able to easily store it once you’re done with it.
The Solaire is built in the USA and is made out of stainless steel. This means it’s able to withstand quite a lot of wear and tear, and it’s quite easy to clean. And don’t worry about this grill not delivering heat, it features a 14000 BTU burner that heats up in seconds.
The only downside to this grill is its design. Unfortunately, this infrared grill won’t be a centerpiece of your kitchen. It looks like something you’d see in a cheap deli than in a kitchen. But if you can get over the design, this grill is well worth the money.
- Lightweight and compact
- Excellent for indoor use
- Unattractive design
What Are Infrared Grills And Why Do You Need One?
Infrared grills are basically the same as charcoal or gas grills, but better. Since they all are grills, they have the same purpose, to grill your food.
But what’s the difference between them, and why choose an infrared grill instead of a standard charcoal grill?
Charcoal grills and gas grills can effortlessly reach temperatures around 750 degrees Fahrenheit, while infrared grills on an average reach 900 degrees Fahrenheit.
An infrared grill leaves both of them in the dust, reaching an average temperature of 900 degrees Fahrenheit. When it comes to the maximum temperature, some infrared grills can reach up to 1600 degrees Fahrenheit.
Not only can infrared grills reach such high temperatures, but they will heat up to the average temperature of 900 degrees in just three minutes.
So, when it comes to temperature, infrared grills are the superior. But, this is not the only advantage infrared grills have.
When using a charcoal or gas grill, your food is cooked conventionally. This means that these grills heat the air that surrounds the food and cook it with the help of air circulation.
However, this isn’t a convenient method to cook your food, since it can dry out your meal. Thankfully, with an infrared grill, there will be no such problems.
Infrared grills cook your food with the help of special grill plates. These plates transfer heat into infrared radiation, rather than hot air. Because the air circulation is reduced to the minimum in infrared grills, your food will maintain its moistness while cooking.
In addition to that, your food will be evenly cooked when using an infrared grill. The heating element is placed directly below the plate allowing the grilling surface to have evenly distributed heat.
Unlike other grills, infrared grills are very fuel-efficient. If you compare a standard gas grill to an infrared grill, you’ll notice that the infrared grill will reach high temperatures a lot faster while consuming less fuel.
And here’s the best part! Self-cleaning.
Cleaning a grill is always a hassle. Nobody likes to scrub the grilling surface, because the stains are so hard to remove. An infrared grill, however, can clean itself. The only thing you’ll need to do is turn up the temperature.
When turning up the temperature, the remaining food stains on the surface will be burned off. Even if some stains are left on the grill, you can use a brush and easily remove them. High temperatures kill most known germs, so you can be sure that your grill will be clean from everything, not only food stains.
See Also: The Best Tailgate Grills
5 Factors You Need To Consider Before Buying An Infrared Grill
Because infrared grills are relatively new on the market, it can be hard to know what you actually need. Here are 5 factors you need to consider to buy the best infrared grill for your specific needs.
- The size of the infrared grill is the first thing you need to take into consideration.
- The size of the grill depends on what you’re planning to do with it. If you plan on cooking bbq for your entire family, you should go for a larger model.
- On the other hand, if you’re usually cooking for yourself and one more person than there is no need to go for a large model. A smaller model will do just fine in this case.
- Think about where you’ll be using the grill the most.
- If you plan to use it just at home, there is no need to worry about portability. You can buy a bulky model without thinking about its weight.
- But, that’s not the case if you want to take the infrared grill on a camping trip. If you plan to move the grill around a lot, look for one that is compact, lightweight, and easy to carry.
- Portable infrared grills usually have a smaller grilling surface, but this is a minor issue. Most portable models weigh less than 15 pounds. You can take them anywhere you want without breaking your back.
- Unlike traditional charcoal and gas grills, infrared grills don’t require as much BTU output. This is because infrared grills aren’t relying on air-heating as much as other grills do.
- The cooking system in infrared grills generates heat that is distributed evenly on the grilling surface. From the surface, the heat is transferred fast and efficiently to the food, allowing the grill to consume less fuel.
- When choosing an infrared grill, we recommend choosing a model that has at least 8000 BTUs.
- The additional features that come with some models of infrared grills won’t have an effect on your food, but they will bump up the convenience level.
- We recommend looking for an infrared grill that is easy to assemble. By choosing such a model, you won’t have any problems even when taking it on a camping trip.
- If you want more control over the cooking process, particularly over the temperature, look for a grill that has a temperature gauge.
- The offered warranty for infrared grills usually depends on the manufacturer. With a more extended warranty, you can be sure that the company will deliver what it promises for the price.
- Some companies, however, offer different warranties for different parts of the grill. Maybe this doesn’t seem like something important, but it is.
- Before you buy the model you have chosen, look up some user reviews. If you notice that people are complaining about one specific part of the model breaking down more than other parts, look around for a seller that offers an extended warranty for that particular part.
See Also: The Best Infrared Thermometers
Our Final Words
Before you head out and start grilling, let’s tally up the results.
The best infrared grill you can buy is the Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Smoker Roaster & Grill. Why? Well, you’d be hard pressed to find another model that can grill, broil, and smoke your meat. Furthermore, it offers more than enough cooking area to feed an entire family.
For those who don’t mind spending a little extra, we present to you the best high-end infrared grill out there, the Saber Grills R50SC1417 Elite 3-Burner Grill. This grill is jam packed with useful features and offers a whopping 500 square inches of cooking area.
Lastly, for those who are looking for something portable and affordable, we recommend picking up the Char-Broil Grill2Go X200. This little infrared grill is built tough, features a decent burner, and offers 200 square inches of cooking area.