Top 5 Best Electric Fillet Knives 2020:
- Black & Decker EK 700 Slice Right Electric Knife
- Rapala Heavy-Duty Electric Fillet Knife
- Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife
- Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife
- Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife
We all love to enjoy a good quality meal.
But the process of preparation must be enjoyable too.
Otherwise, something will go wrong.
If you are frustrated during the process of cooking and preparing ingredients, there is a big chance that you will ruin your food. None of us are born with excellent knifing skills, therefore filleting a fish or a big fatty chunk of meat can sound like science. It also requires a lot of time and practice to achieve it.
But no matter how hard you try, it won’t work if you do not have a proper knife. Since nowadays everything is upgraded, the great news is there are electric filleting knives that do almost all the work for you.
So if you are ready to start experimenting in the kitchen, we recommend you to take a quick look at our list and pick out the best electric fillet knife for your collection.
Related: The Best Electric Knives
5 Best Electric Fillet Knives In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Rapala Lithium Ion Cordless Fillet Knife – Convenient For Outdoor Use
This is a perfect knife to take along with you on a picnic, a fish trip, or anywhere else where you know you won’t be able to use an outlet. It is also lightweight and equipped with an ergonomic handle so that you can be sure using it for an hour or more won’t tire you out.
This electric fillet knife runs on a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with a life span of up to 80 minutes, and recharge time is approximately 2 hours. The great thing is that you can prolong the battery life by using the low-memory mode. The battery features an open-air design to prevent additional heating of the motor, and at the same time, it softens the noise while in use.
The powerful motor makes this knife very fast and efficient since it can cut through the fish bones with ease. It is suitable for filleting saltwater and freshwater medium-sized and small-sized fishes.
A 7 inches long replaceable blade is made of corrosion-resistant stainless steel, and it is also sturdy enough to prevent bending and breaking. The thin serrated edge will cut under the skin effortlessly, leaving you with perfectly cut filets. The knife comes with an additional blade in case this one gets dull.
When cleaning the knife, you must be very thorough since the housing has smaller gaps where the skin, guts, and dirt can wedge, and that can be challenging to remove.
- Cordless and lightweight
- Rechargeable battery
- Stainless steel replaceable blade
- Ergonomic handle
- Powerful motor
- Battery life
- Tricky to clean
2. Rapala Heavy-Duty Electric Fillet Knife – Perfect Choice For Filleting And Carving Fish
Rapala, as a manufacturer, offers you a line of quality products that covers almost all your fishing necessities, including hooks, lures, knives, tools, storage, and more.
This heavy-duty electric knife will withstand years and years of use, and it is a great option for avid anglers. The 8-foot long cord allows you to conveniently move around while cleaning your fish. Since it does not run on a battery, it is ideal for people who plan to carve up a lot of fish in a single go.
The motor is three times powerful and two times faster than motors in most standard fillet knives currently available on the market. It also has a unique airflow design to ensure that the motor runs quietly and cool so it won’t overheat even after a few hours of use.
The handle is ergonomic and offers great grip and balance, but the vibrations are the most common cause of fatigue in hand. Luckily this model reduces it as much as possible.
It comes with a durable 7.5 inches long corrosion-resistant stainless steel serrated blade. Since it features a serrated blade, this model is the best for tough fish such as panfish, swordfish, and mahi-mahi. The blade is replaceable, and it can be washed in a dishwasher, but unfortunately, you do not get the spare blade in the package.
- Fast and powerful
- Durable replaceable blade
- The blade is dishwasher safe
- Unique airflow design
- Ergonomic handle
- Reduce vibrations
- Does not come with spare blade
3. Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife – The Model That Won’t Break The Bank
If you are searching for a simple and lightweight electric fillet knife for an affordable price, then Miser Twister is an ideal model for you.
This model comes with a coiled short power cord that luckily can be additionally extended. We love the safety lock feature that prevents you from accidentally switching the power while the knife is not in use. As we said, the knife is lightweight and paired with an ergonomically shaped handle that will prevent fatigue. But the handle is not padded with a non-slip material, so be extra careful if you use this knife in wet conditions since it can slip out of hand.
The motor is not so powerful but offers great speed and torque without spending much electricity. You can easily carve fish, grilled meat, and even a turkey with this knife. But since there is no airflow system, the motor tends to overheat if the knife is in use too long. It is also pretty noisy.
The Mister Twister model comes with a corrosion-resistant stainless steel 7 inches long blade. The blade is serrated and sharp, so it will cut through medium-sized and small-sized fish with ease. It is also straightforward to remove it thanks to the quick-release button. Since it is made from a material that is dishwasher safe, the cleaning process is effortless.
- Powerful and fast
- Lightweight, ergonomic design
- Safety lock
- Sharp stainless steel blade
- The quick-release button
- The blade is dishwasher safe
- The cord must be extended
- Tends to overheat if in use too long
4. Black & Decker EK 700 Slice Right Electric Knife – Performs A Wide Variety Of Tasks
Who does not know for Black & Decker? They are one of the most reliable manufacturers of household accessories for over a century.
This electric fillet knife is comfortable and straightforward to use, although it is bulky. It comes with a 5-foot long cord, which we would prefer to be a bit longer, but it still allows you to move comfortably. The handle and a trigger are ergonomically designed to give you the ability to carve up fish for hours without experiencing hand fatigue.
The small rubberized area where your thumb rests makes it easy to maneuver this knife through tough fish; it also helps to protect your hands during cleaning and disassembling. For additional safety, it features a safety lock.
TheEK700 is equipped with a powerful motor that will allow you to cut through things like foam and cardboard, fruits, veggies, turkey, grill, bones, and fish. Just don’t cut through frozen food since it will damage the knife. The knife runs smoothly and quietly, which is surprising considering how powerful it is.
This model comes with two 9 inches long serrated blades made from stainless steel. That makes this blade perfect for cutting large though fish since it is sharper, longer and sturdier compared to others. The blade is dishwasher safe, and when you want to remove it from the device, you only need to press the quick-release button.
- Versatile use
- Fast and powerful
- Features safety lock and quick-release button
- Ergonomic design
- Equipped with two long sharp stainless steel blade
- The blade is dishwasher safe
- Cord length
5. Cuisinart CEK-40 Electric Knife – Great Investment
The Cuisinart is a very reliable household kitchen name, so you can be sure this electric knife will offer great performance. It comes with a beautiful wooden block that is used for storing your device and blades with ease. We can assure you this is a great and safe investment since this model comes with a three-year warranty.
Unfortunately, it comes with a 4-foot long cord, which is a bit too short and more suitable for home use only. The handle is ergonomically designed, and it is ambidextrous so you can use it comfortably with both left and right hand.
The motor provides enough power for the blade to perform well, no matter if you need to cut through meat, bones, fish, or bread. The safety lock is provided so you or your kids can’t accidentally turn the motor on when it is not in use. The vibrations are downsized to a minimum, so it won’t cause hand fatigue if you need to use it for an extended period of time. It also runs quietly.
This model features two 8 inches long stainless steel blades. One is intended for cutting bread, while the other is for carving and filleting. Both are equipped with a serrated edge for better performance, delivering you smooth cuts that aren’t jagged at edges. The blades are corrosion-resistant and dishwasher safe. To remove them from the device, use the quick-release button.
- Compact and powerful
- Versatile use
- Ergonomic design
- Ambidextrous handle
- Two different blades made from stainless steel
- Safety-lock and quick-release button
- Blades are dishwasher safe
- The cord is too short
Factors That Makes A Good Electric Fillet Knife
Using the electric fillet knife to carve up the fish and meat is the most efficient way to do it, but not all electric knives are great. There are a few things that you should consider before making a purchase to be sure you picked out the good one.
1. The Power
One of the most important features, especially for the electric knife is how it gets power. Is it through the cord, or is it cordless and battery operated? This is up to you.
- Cordless electric knives are a great option when you need to work in a place that doesn’t have a constant source of electric power, or it is far away. However, these knives tend to have a limited battery life, so they are not suitable for longer operations, in which case corded knives come very handy.
- Considering that both corded and battery operated knives take power from the motor, make sure to pick the motor that is powerful enough to withstand at least an hour of continuous use. If your filleting needs are light, then you can opt for a less powerful model.
- Remember, a good electric knife won’t overheat even if it is put through hours of continuous use.
The blades are the second important feature you must look at after the motor. Depending on your needs, you will choose the knife that suits you the most. Blades can also be made from the next materials:
- Plain carbon steel – Avoid it since it rusts easily
- Alloy steel – However tougher than plain carbon still we recommend to avoid it
- Tool steel – This can be a good choice considering it is harder than other steel
- Titanium – Recommended for light operations since it does not hold an edge as well as other types
- The most popular material for making the blade is stainless steel since it is flexible, strong, and corrosion-resistant, which is important if you handle a saltwater fish. Also, they are easy to maintain since they can be washed in a dishwasher.
Length Of The Blade
- The average size of most electric fillet knives is around 7.5 inches, but it can go up to 9 inches. If you plan to fillet a medium-sized fish or smaller chunk of grilled meat that doesn’t require a lot of carving, then a long thin blade is the best choice.
- On the other hand, if you plan to clean big tough fish or fillet a roasted turkey, a short and strong blade will provide the best performance.
There are two types of blades – serrated and plain.
- A serrated blade is suitable to use for tougher fish, such as tuna, roasted turkey, or big chunks of meat, since it will get the job done quicker. But you must be careful considering it may tear up the meat.
- A plain edge blade is a perfect choice for smaller fatty fish like salmon, smaller chunks of roast, or veggies.
- Fillet knives have a certain amount of flex in their blades that allows you to smoothly carve up fish and meat with more precision. As we said, a thick blade should be used with tough fish and meat while the thinner, more flexible blade is better for small, fatty fish and small roasts.
- The handle is a vital part of an electric knife bearing in mind that it ensures the best comfort and grip in any situation. The handle should be from a non-conductive material to avoid electric shocks and burns from motor heating. Some electric knives are made for both left and right-handed people, which can be very convenient.
4. Safety Feature
Well, safety is also paramount. There are two types of safety that you should consider – your safety and safety of the motor.
- The electric knife blade is very sharp, so buying a model that comes with a safety lock is something you should all consider carefully. There is also a risk of electric shock, but if you buy a device with a handle made from a non-conductive material, you are safe.
- To be sure that your motor can safely operate, choose the models that come with some kind of cooling system that will prevent overheating and risk of burning out.
Filleting can be a very fun activity if you own a proper tool for it. You just can’t expect to carve a perfectly straight edge fillet if you are using a dull old blade. Also, using a poor quality knife can lead to injuries as well. Those are all valid reasons why you should consider buying a high-quality electric fillet knife.
Best Overall Value: Rapala Heavy-Duty Electric Fillet Knife
- Rapala is widely known for manufacturing electric knives with a high-performance motor, which guarantees your safety and longevity of the device. The knife comes with only one set of the blade. But the good news is that the handle is compatible with a wide variety of sizes and lengths of the blade so you can easily combine until you find the perfect combo.
Best Budget Option: Mister Twister 120V Electric Knife
- This one is made by the brand Mister Twister and it is made for a short budget. Believe us when we tell you that in this price range, you can’t get the better deal than this one. It will give you constant power and consistent torque to perform any kind of cutting action. So give this one a try, and you won’t get disappointed.
Premium Pick: Black & Decker EK 700 Slice Right Electric Knife
- This versatile electric knife is designed to perform carving of thick and thin slices with perfect precision and without putting too much effort into the process. Since it comes from the famous Black & Decker manufacturer, there is no place for doubts considering the quality of the product.