Top 5 Best Cutting Boards 2020:
- Totally Bamboo 3-Piece Bamboo Serving and Cutting Board Set
- Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Set of 3 Colored Mats
- Virginia Boys Kitchens Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board with Juice Drip Groove
- Progressive PCB-1812 Prep Solutions Cutting Board with Juice Grooves
- Prep Series Cutting Boards by Epicurean, 3 Piece With Kitchen Tools
The kitchen is not a kitchen without a proper prep arsenal.
And how are we going to create magic in the kitchen without proper kitchen utensils?
In our humble opinion, one of the most important parts of the kitchen gear is the cutting board.
The first thing that you need to know is that the model your friend or mother use and adore does not need to mean it will be the best fit for you. Since you will spend a lot of time cutting and chopping, you need to pick out a model that will fit in your kitchen perfectly with its size, it must be made of high-quality material, and last but not least, it must feel and look good too.
Sounds simple, right?
Well, we ain’t going to lie to you, finding the best cutting board can be complicated as much as finding the perfect pair of shoes, and no, we are not overreacting believe us.
See Also: The Best Knife Blocks
5 Best Cutting Boards In 2020: Detailed Reviews
We are sure you already probably heard how the glass cutting boards are the worst enemy of your kitchen knives. Also, you probably know that the best cutting boards are the wooden ones, but the question arises which wood is the right one?
To save you a lot of time and nerves, we decided to write this handy little buying guide to help you pick out the best cutting board for your kitchen.
1. Totally Bamboo 3-Piece Bamboo Serving and Cutting Board Set – A Very Stylish Look
These bamboo cutting boards come in three different sizes, which is very convenient since you will always have one cutting board available for use. Or, you can sort them out by size for different purposes; for example, we used the biggest one for meat and fish, medium one for cheeses, and the small one for veggies and herbs.
What we loved is that the boards are reversible. That means you can flip them over and use both sides, which prevents the risk of cross-contamination between raw and cooked ingredients, which comes in handy when cooking complicated meals that require a large number of different ingredients.
This is also a great feature since you will reduce exposure to water since there will be no need to wash it between cutting. Just like with wooden cutting boards, you’ll want to avoid soaking bamboo boards as well during the cleaning process.
Remember, these cutting boards require a bit more care between uses and will crack or splinter if they are cleaned incorrectly. To avoid this, you should thoroughly oil a board once a month and leave it to dry completely.
Bamboo as a material for crafting kitchen equipment quickly becomes popular due to the fact that it is durable, sustainable, and environmentally friendly. But there is a minor flaw in this material; it has a reputation for making knives dull. However, this can be easily solved since you can keep a knife sharpener close to hand and avoid this issue.
- Thin and lightweight
- Three different sizes
- Durable and affordable
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Tends to make knives dull
2. Virginia Boys Kitchens Large Walnut Wood Cutting Board with Juice Drip Groove – Reversible For Extra Versatility
If you ask us, nothing can beat the classic look and feel of the wooden cutting board, especially if it is made from the ultimate king among all the woods – the walnut.
This cutting board is seriously thick, and it features a mess-free design since it comes with a juice groove around the edge that prevents food juices from spilling onto the countertop. Like almost all wooden cutting boards, this one too is not designed to be dishwasher safe, but all you need to do to clean it properly is wipe it.
The cutting board does not come in a set, so you only have one board for all types of ingredients, but luckily it is reversible so you can avoid cross-contamination by switching the sides when needed. This cutting board is pretty versatile, and it is great looking, so it can also double as a presentation board for dinner parties when you need to serve some cheese and charcuterie.
The only downfall is that this walnut board comes in its raw form, so it needs some thorough maintenance to prevent warping. Raw means it’s neither lacquered nor sanded; this can be an ideal for some traditionalists, but if you do not use any kind of oils on it, you, just be aware it will deteriorate in quality sooner than you expect it.
- Beautiful rustic design
- Made from walnut
- Features juice groove
- Thick and durable
- Comes in raw form
- Require some maintenance and sanding before use
3. Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Set of 3 Colored Mats – Brightly Colored And Fun
If you are tight with space, these flexible and colorful cutting boards will be the best choice for you. Plus, the price tag on this set of three is sincerely cheap.
They are extremely lightweight and practical since you can lift them and transport chopped up ingredients with ease. All you gotta do is lift it and fold up the edges to create a handy funnel, and your food will be directly offloaded into the pot or bowl without spilling any of it.
Surprisingly they are relatively sturdy for such thin boards that make storing in drawers or cabinets effortless. The grip marks on one side of each cutting board will prevent possible sliding around on your countertop.
The boards are made from BPA-free plastic that is both non-porous and non-absorbent. Also, the smooth plastic surface will be gentle on your knives and won’t dull them, but they are too soft, so you can’t expect them to last very long.
The colors are very bright, but it comes in handy since you can easily remember which board you used for which ingredient and prevent cross-contamination. Maintaining is a breeze since they should be washed with hot water and soap. If you want, you can simply toss them into your dishwasher, but this will significantly cut their life span.
- Lightweight and flexible
- BPA-free plastic
- Safe for your knives
- Easy cleaning
- Very soft so they can’t withstand long term use
- Washing in a dishwasher will wear them off
4. Progressive PCB-1812 Prep Solutions Cutting Board with Juice Grooves – Ideal For Occasional Use
If you prefer plastic cutting boards that will last you for a long time without any risk of warping and cracking, then this Progressive cutting board is your go-to model. The simple design of this cutting board makes it very easy to store since it is lightweight, and it comes with a handy easy-grip handle so you can even hang it.
It is large enough to accommodate big cuts of meat as well as fruits and vegetables. The great thing is that it comes with juice grooves since one of the biggest problems while cutting soft fruit and vegetables is that a lot of juice tends to run out onto the kitchen counter and create a sticky mess. This can prolong the preparation process significantly since the board will slip from time to time, considering it lacks grip marks.
The Progressive cutting board is made of tough polyethylene that is BPA-free and very easy to clean. Just run it under the warm tap water or put it in the dishwasher. However, in case you decide to wash it in the dishwasher, you must first give it a good rub since the white surface tends to stain and show knife marks.
Also, this board is not reversible, so you can only use the side with juice grooves carved in it, so to avoid cross-contamination, we advise you to use it for only one ingredient per time and wash it thoroughly after every ingredient.
- Dishwasher safe
- Easy to store
- Juice grooves
- Not reversible
- White surface tend to stain and show knife markings
5. Prep Series Cutting Boards by Epicurean, 3 Piece With Kitchen Tools – Simple And Eco-Friendly Set Of Boards
If you love to experiment in the kitchen, then for sure, you use different types of ingredients that require separate cutting boards. We all know that vegetables and cooked meats should not be placed on the same cutting board, which you used for raw meat. So to avoid constantly washing the cutting board and cross-contamination, this set of three will save you a lot of time.
These boards boast the same style, but they have different sizes for different purposes, which can help you to memorize which one you used for raw meat, veggies, and cooked meat. They can easily be stacked together for easy storage.
If you prefer to support eco-friendly manufacturers, you will love to know that these boards are made of wood composites that have been recycled, but that is the main reason why these boards are not very thick nor durable, so careful how you are handling them. Also, they come with minimal packaging that is recyclable as well.
Unfortunately, they do not feature juice grooves, which can create a bit of a mess in your kitchen if you plan to use them for cutting soft fruits and veggies. But at least they are easy to clean since you can put them in the dishwasher, considering that they can handle heat up to 350°F. There is no need to worry since they are antimicrobial and stain-resistant.
- Set of three different sized boards with kitchen tools included
- Dishwasher safe
- Heat resistant
- Not very thick and durable
- No juice grooves
How To Choose The Right Cutting Board?
When searching for the best product of any type, there are many different things you should think about before the purchase. While looking for the best cutting board, the styles and size are a primary concern for many people, and naturally, it is determined by personal preference. Here we listed some of the main factors to look for in the perfect cutting board.
- Of course, it is crucial to choose the board that is large enough to fit your needs. However, what may concern you is a storing problem if you buy a cutting board that is too big and bulky. This is especially important for you if you have small kitchens and countertops since they need a cutting board that will be the right fit but still large enough to provide you enough space for cutting.
2. Single Board Or A Matching Set
- If you have limited space, then it is a good choice for you to purchase a set of matching cutting boards in a few different sizes. Owning a set of cutting boards is also very handy since this will help you avoid cross-contamination.
- A single cutting board can come in handy only if you have ample countertops where you can place a cutting block that you will use for larger chunks of meat. Naturally, if you need a cutting board for slicing veggies and fruits, then a smaller set should be your final pick.
- The cutting boards are created in a wide range of materials.
- Usually, people are looking for wooden cutting boards without realizing that these boards can be rather heavy, bulky, and hard to maintain. That is why modern materials like plastic, bamboo, or recycled composites provide the best solution if you need a cutting board for casual use.
- In case you decide to purchase the plastic cutting board, make sure that it is BPA-free and covered with a non-porous coating so that it does not attract bacteria or odors.
4. With Juice Grooves Or Flat Cutting Board?
- We personally prefer cutting boards that have a groove running around the edge to catch the excess juice from foods and prevent messy kitchen and countertop. But if you choose a board with a juice groove, you must make sure it is deep enough to prevent the juice from spilling.
- When we talk about flat boards, the main advantage of these cutting boards is that they are usually reversible so that you can use both sides, this is not the case with cutting boards with juice grooves. The flat boards are generally ideal for dry foods such as cabbages, garlic, onions, carrots, and more.
5. Maintenance And Ease Of Cleaning
- Many people avoid buying wooden cutting boards because they often require specialized maintenance, such as regular oiling prevents them from becoming moldy. If you are aware that you won’t be that eager to maintain the wooden board in the best possible shape, then the best thing you can do is investing in the plastic one.
- It is essential to choose the cutting board that is easy to clean. Many cutting boards nowadays simply need to be wiped clean, while some models still require thorough rubbing even if they can be washed in a dishwasher.
6. Some Other Handy Features
- A cutting board that comes with a built-in handle is a huge plus since it makes storing easier, simply hung it up. Make sure to buy a cutting board that features a non-slip foot or any kind of grip markings for extra stability. Some models even come with kitchen tools included like spreaders.
There are various reasons why you might be looking for the best cutting board right now. You might need a replacement for your old cutting board, or you maybe need a gift for someone close to you. Anyhow since there are a lot of options available nowadays, we think you might find it difficult to choose the right one without a bit of our guidance.
Hopefully, you will find this article helpful.
Best Overall Value: Totally Bamboo 3-Piece Bamboo Serving and Cutting Board Set
- Bamboo cutting boards are growing more and more popular with a really good reason (they are environmentally friendly), considering that the bamboo grows faster than other plants used for crafting cutting boards. It’s also known for its durability since the knives will hardly leave the markings on the surface. If you are ready to go eco-friendly, purchase this set and you won’t regret it.
Best Budget Option: Flexible Plastic Cutting Board Set of 3 Colored Mats
- These thin plastic cutting boards are great for keeping your work surface sanitary when cutting veggies, fish, meats, or poultry. You can place them directly on the counter, or even place them on top of wooden cutting boards since they come with grip marks to prevent slipping. The price is affordable, but still, no matter how cheap they are, maintain them well, and make sure you don’t put them in the dishwasher since they will warp in it.
- Walnut cutting boards are well known for their luxurious appearance, high-quality, shiny surface, and durability. As we already mentioned, this cutting board comes in raw form, so don’t be surprised when it arrives. This is a great thing if you ask us since the board is customizable, meaning that you can choose the finishing wax and seasoning oil to suit your preferences.