Top 5 Best Countertop Microwaves 2020:
- Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven
- Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN966S
- AmazonBasics Microwave
- Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven
- Farberware 1.1 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave Oven
We are always in a hurry nowadays, and so we require kitchen appliances that can keep up with our lifestyles. Whether it is a portable ice maker, a rotisserie oven, or some other unit, you want it to be fast and efficient at the same time.
The same goes for these helpful units! Countertop microwaves are handy, and almost every household has one. Not only are they compact, but also very versatile. They can heat your leftovers or perhaps provide you with a meal, and all of that in just a few minutes. Furthermore, today there are so many preset programs and other useful features, which makes preparing and defrosting food even easier.
Most of the models are from stainless steel and come in a wide range of sizes and colors. Today you can find an efficient and good looking microwave with a variety of presets under 200$!
Since there are so many available options on the market and essential factors to watch out for, we tested and reviewed five currently popular countertop microwaves. We can proudly say we have found the 5 best countertop microwaves and provided you with some helpful tips on what to consider before buying one!
- The Best Microwave Toaster Oven Combos
- The Best Over Range Microwaves
- The Best Convection Microwave Ovens
- The Best Countertop Convection Ovens
- The Best Compact Microwaves
5 Best Countertop Microwaves In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven – Best Overall
One of the best countertop microwaves out there is this Toshiba EM131A5C-BS model. With this unit, you won’t face any troubles!
For starters, this stylish silver-black microwave is made of stainless steel, and it’s very sturdy. It is 20 inches long, 17 inches wide, and 12 inches high and has a huge inside space so you can fit large plates and a big bag of popcorn! The only downside is that it’s taking up too much space, so consider that as an essential factor before purchasing this model.
It is straightforward to use and has a large digital display, and the control panel is easy to read. Although some users have complained that it has small control buttons that could improve in terms of exterior design. It also displays a clock and a countdown timer.
The turntable is made of glass, and it stays on its tracks, as some people have said. The other important thing is that this microwave is not noisy! You can mute the beeping sound, and you also have a power-saving mode option. It basically means that it will heat or cook on 50% of its power, thus saving a lot of energy and our environment.
Not to mention how powerful and fast this microwave is, which is one more reason this model deserves the first place. It has 1100 watts, 10 power levels, and a smart sensor with 6 automatic functions. These are reheat, custom defrost, pizza, potato, rice, frozen entree, and soften/melt function. On top of it, it is straightforward to clean!
- Easy to use
- High-end materials
- Not noisy
- Large inside space
- Requires a large amount of space
- Small control buttons
- Cooks unevenly
2. Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN966S – Our Premium Pick
If you’re looking for a high-end model with smart technology, this Panasonic Microwave oven will be the perfect fit for you! Once more, Panasonic did not disappoint us, and this is undoubtedly the long term product.
The exterior design is pretty elegant and simple. It is made of high-end materials such as stainless steel. That is probably one of the largest microwaves out there, and it has a large capacity. Perfect choice if you have a big family, and it will fit even the extra-large dish with its 16,5 inches glass turntable. Although it takes too much space, which is a little drawback. Also, it has a display with a clock and a timer, and it has an open button.
With 1200 watts, 10 power levels, and 14 preset menu options, it is very powerful, efficient, and fast. Moreover, it will heat and cook your food evenly! It also features an inverter technology, which means it can work on 50% of its power and still get the job done. Smart cooking sensors will adjust power and timer depending on the type of food. Furthermore, it also includes a reheat, turbo defrost, and a quick mode.
On top of it, it has a Keep warm feature, which will keep your food warm before serving it! This unit also features a child lock; thus, it’s also a very safe and reliable product.
- Inverter technology
- Smart cooking sensor
- High-end materials
- Large capacity
- Cooks rapidly and evenly
- Has a keep warm feature
- Takes a lot of space
- It’s a little expensive
3. AmazonBasics Microwave – Budget-Friendly Choice
This is another excellent product from AmazonBasics! It is both efficient and very affordable, and this type is tough to find these days.
This AmazonBasics microwave is very compact and doesn’t take too much space at all. It is 17 inches long, 10 inches wide, and 11 inches high, and it comes in shiny but straightforward black exterior design with a reasonably large display and easy-to-read control buttons. Also, it opens on a handle, which is a preferred option for some people.
With 700 watts, it is a bit slow and may cook/heat uneven. However, it has 10 power modes, a defrost and a popcorn mode, and a pause button. For all of this, we think that it cooks and heats food pretty decently if we take into account its low power. The other downside of this product is its loud noise.
But, this microwave has a unique feature! It has a voice command by combining it with your Alexa device! Also, Alexa will know the exact cooking or heating time for every food, so you won’t have to bother with it. Besides, it can be an excellent edition if you have multiple different things to do at the same time. However, some people have complained about troubleshooting problems, but it’s not something that can’t be fixed!
- Small and takes less place
- Voice command is great
- Very affordable
- Easy to use
- It has 10 power levels
- Low power and slow
- A bit loud
- Doesn’t heat evenly
- Sometimes it has problems connecting to a network
4. Toshiba EM925A5A-SS Microwave Oven – Good price for value
This Toshiba EM925A5A-SS countertop microwave turned out to be very efficient yet affordable.
It comes in an exquisite silver-black exterior design, and it is just the perfect size! It’s only 19 inches long, 16 inches wide and 11 inches high. It’s made of stainless steel and has that appealing shiny finish. It has a large capacity, and you can monitor your cooking because it has a crystal-clear interior with LED lights! Yet, some users have complained that this microwave is a little complicated to use and adjust.
It has only 900 watts, and for this reason, this unit is a little bit slow and can cause uneven heating/cooking. Also, another downside of this product is that the turntable can sometimes go off its track when microwaving, but only a few people have complained about that.
Nevertheless, it has 10 power settings and 6 preset menus such as defrost, reheat, potato, pizza, popcorn, and a beverage mode.
Another terrific thing about this model is that it is quiet, and you can choose to mute the beep sound. It also features a child safety lock and a power-saving mode.
- Perfect size
- Made of stainless steel
- Quiet and you can mute the beep sound
- You can monitor your cooking
- A little bit slow
- Complicated to use
- Glass turntable is coming off its track
5. Farberware 1.1 Cu. Ft. Countertop Microwave Oven – Amongst the top rated
This is certainly one of the rare models that are not hard to look at because of its attractive design. This Farberware countertop microwave is amongst the top-rated on the market, and we just had to test it!
The exterior design comes in silver-black color, and it is very aesthetically pleasing. It’s made of stainless steel, and you can also find it in red, white, black, grey and copper colors.
Its dimensions are 20 inches long, 17 inches wide, 12 inches high, and 1,1 cubic feet of capacity; thus, it can fit extra large plates! It has a small LCD and 6 cooking programs. However, some people have complained that you can’t see inside the unit while it’s cooking and this is a drawback we noticed as well.
This microwave has 1000 watts and 10 power settings; thus, it is powerful and fast. However, we have to admit that it is a little bit noisy! Also the light bulb inside is not adjusted well and it might start flickering after a few uses.
Nevertheless, it has a child safety lock and an express cooking and reheating mode, which operates for only 30 seconds and gives excellent results!
- Quality material
- Attractive style
- Not too big yet plenty of room inside for large plates
- High power
- Some people complain that the light bulb has stopped working
- You can’t see inside the unit
Things To Consider Before You Buy A Countertop Microwave
- Even with countertop microwaves, the size will matter. You have to consider the space available on your kitchen countertop because the last thing you want is your new microwave not fitting the available space. We recommend always looking at product dimensions so that your desired microwave fits the space you planned up for it.
- Also, you might want to consider your microwave’s inner size – capacity. Consider the size of the plates you usually use and the food you typically cook.
- Size is undoubtedly the most important thing you need to look for, so you might want to get a clear idea of the available space you have and the capacity you need for your meals.
- Cooking time is faster if the wattage is higher. It also provides more evenly heated food. In addition, it will save you a lot of time, because with lower wattage you have to heat for a few extra minutes or even repeat the process. For the best results, we recommend buying the ones that are 1000 watts or higher.
3. User Friendly
- Although countertop microwaves these days are very versatile and come with many different setting options, it should always be easy to use and clean them. Whether there’s a touch or a voice command, it may not always be easy to set the desired program. However, this factor depends on your needs and desires, so we will leave this one for you to decide!
- Most of the microwaves have the same essential functions. For example, almost every model has a defrost mode, timer, power level, and cook time. They are usually pretty easy to set. Most of them also have a rotating carousel to cook or heat your food evenly, and even a touch panel controls for input.
- Also, many models come with pre-set cooking modes, and you usually have to press one button to use them. For example, there are popcorn, pizza, beverage, baked potato, frozen food, reheat modes, and many more. Actually, if you explore a little further, you will notice there is a whole range of new presets depending on the food you want to cook. We recommend looking for a model with presets that will suit your needs and the type of food you usually consume.
- This is not the most crucial factor, but it certainly deserves to be on our list. We all love it when our kitchen appliances match our kitchen interior design in color and material. We recommend buying a stainless steel model because this quality material gives your microwave that fancy and shiny finish.
- Some models will produce more noise than others, and this is the problem most people will take into account when purchasing a microwave. Thus, we recommend always looking at the product description for decibel units. Or, you can just swipe through the comments as there will always be some reviews if the model of the microwave is particularly noisy.
7. Inverter Technology
- When it comes to microwaves, this technology is still rare, but some high-end models certainly have this feature. With this technology, you can cook your food evenly at a consistently low temperature. This way, your microwave will continuously work at 50 percent of its power, allowing you to prepare a wide range of meals such as a fluffy omelet or poached salmon.
8. Additional Features
- Child lockout feature is an essential factor if you have kids, as this may prevent dangerous situations like fire or somebody from getting hurt. It works very easy, as you only need to set the password and only those who have it will be able to use the appliance.
- Smart sensors that will allow even heating on your food.
- Smart technology will allow your microwave to connect to the internet or Bluetooth. On some, you can even use a voice command, which is excellent if you have multiple things to do at the same time, or you just don’t want to go through learning all the programs.
- This is always an important thing when buying kitchen appliances. All things considered, countertop models are the most affordable types of microwaves on the market. You can easily buy a microwave that is under 100$! However, you should know that the better the wattage and overall features, the higher the price.
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
Buying a good countertop microwave is a big deal, and it can often be a bit of a hassle because there are so many factors you have to look out for. However, investing some time in finding the right one for your needs can save you a lot of money and precious time.
All of these five countertop microwaves from our list are great, and we are confident every single one would serve you well. Nevertheless, here are our top recommendations for this round:
Best Overall: Toshiba EM131A5C-BS Microwave Oven
- The ultimate winner is undoubtedly the Toshiba countertop microwave. First of all, the size is perfect, and the price is just right. Also, it is straightforward to use, it heats food evenly, it works very fast and efficient, and on top of it all, it’s not noisy!
Our Premium Pick: Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN966S
- You definitely won’t be sorry for the extra money you’ll spend on this model. This Panasonic countertop model is large and powerful, and it works very fast. Plus, it will keep your food warm until you’re ready to serve it!
Budget-Friendly Choice: AmazonBasics Microwave
- This AmazonBasics Microwave comes with so many great features. For instance, it has a voice control command and works pretty fast for a very affordable appliance!