Top 5 Best Chinese Cleavers 2020:
- TUO Cutlery Cleaver Knife – Chinese Chef’s Knife
- KATSURA Chinese Cleaver Knife
- SHI BA ZI ZUO Chinese Cleaver Kitchen Knife
- SPEVORIX Chinese Cleaver Professional Chef Knife
- LedgeON 7″ Professional Cleaver
Whether you’re a professional chef or an amateur when it comes to cooking, you must know how important it is to how a good, sharp knife at all times. When it comes to knives, not a lot of them can compete with a Chinese cleaver, or “Cia Dao”.
When the word “cleaver” comes to mind, most people think about a butcher and a large, heavy knife that cuts with brutal force instead of precision. This is where Chinese cleavers differ from regular ones! See Also: The Best Butcher Knives
Chinese cleavers are lighter and have a thinner blade compared to others, and they can cut with extreme precision. In fact, you can use them not only for cutting, but also for slicing, chopping, dicing, and mincing meat, vegetables, fruits, fish, and so on. This means that with just one good Chinese cleaver, you can prepare an entire delicious meal for you and your family to enjoy!
All this considered, it doesn’t come as a surprise that Chinese cleavers are a favorite kitchen tool to professional chefs around the world! If you also want to have an amazing cooking experience with a Chinese cleaver, we’ve carefully selected and tested many of them to make this list of the best Chinese cleavers just for you!
So, if you’re interested to see what cleavers made it to the top, keep on reading!
Related: The Best Meat Cleavers
5 Best Chinese Cleavers In 2020: Detailed Reviews
1. TUO Cutlery Cleaver Knife – Chinese Chef’s Knife – Absolute Winner
One of the best Chinese cleavers is TUO Cleaver Knife. TUO is a brand with a long tradition in making high-quality cutlery, and this cleaver is no exception. This knife is a part of their Fiery Phoenix line which focuses on creating products that are both beautiful and practical.
The razor-sharp blade on the TUO Chinese cleaver is 7 inches long and it’s made of premium German-quality high carbon steel. High carbon steel is the best choice for this type of knife because it’s able to stay sharp for a long time and doesn’t require sharpening often. The hardness of the steel reaches 56 on the Rockwell scale! The blade has a hand-polished edge at 18 degrees at each side, which is a perfect angle for extremely precise cutting.
The TUO Chinese cleaver is visually impressive, well-finished and attractive. The Pakkawood handle adds to the beautiful appearance of the knife. Thanks to the ergonomic shape and the size of the handle, the knife sits comfortably in your hand, it’s not heavy and it’s very easy to maneuver. The Pakkawood sourced from Africa makes each knife in this series a unique piece with its own beautiful patterns.
This cleaver also comes in a beautiful box, which combined with the stylish and elegant appearance of the knife makes it a nice gift for a chef or someone who loves to cook!
- High carbon German steel blade
- Pakkawood ergonomic handle
- Hand-polished 18 degrees edges
- Unique design
- Not dishwasher safe
2. KATSURA Chinese Cleaver Knife – Our Premium Pick
From the design and performance to the beautiful luxury packaging, KATSURA Chinese cleaver is one of the best high-end tools in this category. Originally from China, this incredible knife was perfected in Japan with the Damascus steel that reaches more than 60 on the Rockwell hardness scale!
This means it’s extremely hard, resistant to rust, corrosion, discoloration, and it stays razor-sharp for a long period of time without requiring constant sharpening! The overall knife is
12 inches long and the blade is 6.5 inches long. This is the perfect ratio of handle length and blade length because it gives balance to the knife, making it very lightweight and easy to use.
The elegant black handle is cleverly designed to feel comfortable and to give you a good grip and full control of the knife. The material used to make it is tough, wear-resistant, military-grade G10 material. Unlike some cleavers, this one has a handle that feels natural and common in the hands of amateurs, so you can feel secure and confident while cutting meat and vegetables even if you’re a complete beginner!
This cleaver has a sturdy construction and it can be used not only on meat and vegetables but also on heavier loads, like lobsters! Whatever delicious food you decide to make, KATSURA Chinese cleaver will be your best friend!
- Hard Damascus steel blade
- Has perfect balance
- Strong, ergonomic blade
- Good for beginners
- The biggest con is the high price
3. SHI BA ZI ZUO Chinese Cleaver Kitchen Knife – Best Budget-Friendly Choice
If you’re looking for an inexpensive Chinese cleaver, SHI BA ZI ZUO knife is a good choice. For a reasonable price, you get a cleaver with a great design, high-quality materials, and high-performance!
This Chinese cleaver’s blade is made of high carbon stainless steel that doesn’t rust, it’s durable and it stays sharp for a long time. The blade is 7 inches long and it has an upward tip perfect for slicing, mincing, and dicing. It also has a non-slip layer on the edge that prevents the food from sticking to the blade. The manufacturer uses a unique wet sharpening method to prolong the sharpness of the blade!
The handle of the knife is made of beautiful rosewood with a wide, strong bolster and a finger guide that helps you avoid hurting yourself. The full-tang handle is easy to grip, and it feels comfortable so your hand won’t start to hurt after prolonged use.
This is a good Chinese cleaver for both professional and home use. It can be used for slicing, mincing, dicing, and chopping vegetables, meats, fruits, fish and so on! The wide blade can also be used as a spatula to carry your food to the wok or bowl, and you can also use it to crush garlic! See Also: The Best Electric Woks
Overall, SHI BA ZI ZUO Chinese cleaver is a good kitchen tool that performs nicely and you’ll be able to use it for a long time!
- Affordable price
- Stainless steel sharp blade
- Beautiful, comfortable rosewood handle
- The handle is a bit short
4. SPEVORIX Chinese Cleaver Professional Chef Knife – Best Multipurpose Chinese Cleaver
SPEVORIX Chinese cleaver is a powerful cutting tool made according to the standards of the FDA and LFGB so you know never to doubt its quality. Apart from high-quality materials, the knife also features an elegant design and it offers high performance.
The blade of the knife is made of stainless steel that has high Chromium content which makes it highly durable and resistant to corrosion and rust. To make it even sharper and stronger, the blade was treated with heat and polished at both sides at 15 degrees, ideal for precise slicing. It’s also great for chopping, dicing, cutting, and shredding meats, vegetables, fish, fruits…The blade is 3.5 inches wide so you can also use it to easily crush garlic, ginger, tomato and so on.
The particularly amazing feature of the knife is the handle. It’s a slip-resistant triple-riveted handle made of the beautiful Pakkawood. It also has a shape that sits comfortably in your hand and allows you to cut food for an extended period of time without getting tired. The solid full-tang handle is also durable and it will not deteriorate or fracture easily. The handle is also long enough to provide the perfect balance to the knife.
All in all, SPEVORIX Chinese cleaver is a great choice if you want a multipurpose, easy to handle cleaver that will get the job done!
- Multipurpose Chinese cleaver
- Sharp stainless steel 7” blade
- Beautiful and ergonomic Pakkawood handle
- Both blade and handle are extremely durable
- Not dishwasher safe
5. LedgeON 7″ Professional Cleaver – Not To Be Missed
Last but certainly not least, the number five spot on our list deserves the LedgeON Professional Chinese Cleaver. This knife is one of the best cleavers that comes at a surprisingly affordable price.
Like most Chinese cleavers, this one also has a blade made of high carbon stainless steel, because it is the best choice thanks to its durability, resistance to rust and long-term sharpness. The blade has also been treated with heat, a unique forging process, to optimize the sharpness, edge retention, and corrosion resistance.
Thanks to the sharp and heavy blade, this cleaver can be used to get through the toughest meats and bones, but it’s also precise enough that you can use it on delicate food, like chopping herbs or removing the skin from a fish!
The handle is a beautiful feature that adds a bit of elegance to the whole appearance. It’s made of Pakkawood which is highly resistant to bending and mold formation. The handle has also been triple-riveted to enhance the durability of the Pakkawood, so you know it can endure a lot of heavy use.
The unique thing about this knife is that it’s been made to be a bit heavier compared to others, so it can effortlessly cut through tough meat and bones! This means it may take some time to get used to it, but once you do, you’ll absolutely love it!
- Great for heavy use on hard bones
- High carbon steel blade
- The blade treated with heat
- Durable Pakkawood handle
- It’s a bit heavier than others
Things To Consider Before You Buy A Chinese Cleaver
Chinese cleavers are kind of unique when it comes to the design and the materials, so it’s important to know a few things before you decide which one to buy. Let’s see what are crucial features to consider so you can make a smart and informed decision!
- There are lightweight and there are heavy Chinese cleavers, and which one you’ll choose depends entirely on your needs. A lightweight cleaver can be used and maneuvered easily and with more skill, while a heavy cleaver “falls” with more force so it can cut better.
- If you plan to use it for fine cutting and slicing, go with a lightweight cleaver because it will be so much easier to use and control it, but if you want to cut through tough meat and bones, a heavier cleaver is a better option! See Also: The Best Slicing Knives
2. Blade Length
- The most common length for Chinese cleavers’ blades is around 7 inches because this is an ideal size for precise slicing. However, you can find cleavers with blade length anywhere from 6” to 8 or 9 “. Choose the one that you think is enough for you. In the end, whatever the length of the blade is, the most important part is that it has a long enough handle that provides good balance and makes it easy to use!
3. Blade Material
- When it comes to knives of this type, the most common material used for the blade is high carbon steel. This is because this material is extremely durable, and it’s able to stay sharp for a long time, so you don’t have to sharpen it often. See Also: The Best Knife Sharpeners
- Sometimes the blade of a cleaver has been treated with heat or other treatments, that add to its durability and sturdiness.
- The handle of a Chinese cleaver plays an important role because it provides balance to the whole knife. It’s important that the handle is long enough so you can grip it firmly and that it also has an ergonomic shape that feels comfortable in your hand.
- Besides the shape and the length of the handle, the material is also important. You want a knife that will last you a long time, which means the handle also has to be durable. The most popular material for the handles is Pakkawood. It’s an engineered wood/resin composite that has the appearance of the wood but it’s more durable and resistant to wear and mold.
- Most Chinese cleavers are not dishwasher safe. This is usually because of the materials used to make the handle. There are some cleavers that can be safely put in a dishwasher, but most manufacturers recommend you to wash your Chinese cleaver manually with warm water and gentle soap, and dry it immediately with a soft towel.
See Also: The Best Vegetable Choppers
Final Thoughts And Recommendations
The Chinese cleaver is a type of kitchen tool that may take some time to get used to, but once you do, you’ll use it for absolutely everything! Slicing, dicing, chopping, cutting, mincing, you name it – it can do it!
Now that we’ve reviewed our top five Chinese cleavers on the market, it’s time for you to make a decision! As you do that, we’d love to tell you our final recommendations!
Absolute winner: TUO Cutlery Cleaver Knife – Chinese Chef’s Knife
- A winner in the category of the best Chinese cleavers is TUO Cutlery Cleaver Knife! There isn’t a single thing we don’t love about this cleaver, and we’re absolutely sure you’ll love it too! On top of all its amazing features, it’s also super affordable!
Our Premium Pick: KATSURA Chinese Cleaver Knife
- If you can invest a bit more money in a high-end Chinese cleaver, we strongly recommend you to go with KATSURA. This knife has it all – from beautiful appearance and clever design to high-performance and premium materials. This is a choice you’ll never regret!
Best Budget-Friendly Pick: SHI BA ZI ZUO Chinese Cleaver Kitchen Knife
- You don’t have to spend a lot of money to have an amazing Chinese cleaver, and this one by SHI BA ZI ZUO is a great example of that! It’s an affordable cleaver made of high-quality materials that offers high-performance every time you use it!